Dont my idi to burn down

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering what all causes these mochines to burn down.
1. Headlight switch
2. Glow plug wiring harness connector
3. Stuff that used to be on the fire wall but is now resting on the turbo

Anything else?

Thanks

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably all of the above. Electrical wiring in vehicles don't last forever. These trucks are old which is why it's a good idea to keep an extinguisher in the cab at all times.
Mine smoked up a storm when my GPC failed. I didn't have to use an extinguisher but I had it ready if it got any worse.
Batteries, cables, alternators, starters, solenoids...pretty much anything electrical can cause fires if something malfunctions.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs, fuel on at pump and timing advance/high idle all on manual switches now, headlight switch plug has burnt out(rewired now). Basically everything electric on my truck has gone out at sometime and it's a 88 but it did sit for 10 years so a lot of my electrical issues were to be expected

shawn deere

Reaction score
Ill get an extinguisher installed soon
Plug on the back of my headlight switch looks sad, pry wire in some relays soon
My high idle isnt working, should that be a concern?
Thanks for the advice!

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's not working it's possible your cold timing advance is not either both help with warming the truck up faster and start a little easier when cold but it won't necessarily hurt anything just a little smokier on start up possible and not warm up as fast. Not an emergency but it's always good to have everything working right

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The wiring to the lights seems to be a big culprit on these trucks. There is constant power fed to the light switch on the dash and the only thing protecting the main wire is a fusible link. Replacing that with an actual fuse and putting the headlights on relays is a step in the right direction. The wiring in these trucks is way undersized so anything you can do to take the load off of it is good.

I also don't recommend hacking up the wiring harness on your truck. Seen that way too many times. Unless you understand electricity, wire ampacity and how vital a good connection is your better off to leave it alone.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never really did anything to my stock harmess it burnt up in a couple places for unknown reasons and the glow plug controller went out so I changed it to a manual button and it. I just did relays and switches to keep it going for now. Aftermarket headlight bulbs I believe were the culprits to my headlight wiring melting and probably the bright switch melting as well.

shawn deere

Reaction score
If it's not working it's possible your cold timing advance is not either both help with warming the truck up faster and start a little easier when cold but it won't necessarily hurt anything just a little smokier on start up possible and not warm up as fast. Not an emergency but it's always good to have everything working right
She started for me yesterday! 4* and i wasnt smart enough to plug it in!! Boy you should have seen the smoke though lol

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if you are worried about electrical fires, install a continuous duty solenoid/relay between the battery accessories wire and everything else. You run a wire to a switch on the dash to control it.
The only things that should have 'constant power' are the starter(which has it's own main solenoid) and the alternator battery wire(add a big fuse to this).

Kill your master switch and everything dies. No lights, no power /anywhere/.

It also doubles as theft protection...

chief1983

Reaction score
If the headlight switch burns up because the full headlight current runs through it (dunno if it does like on my K5) you can upgrade to the HD headlight harness, it is usually required for HID upgrades and the like but takes the current out of that part of the system and puts it into relays and new wiring. Cleaning contacts at the switch should be done eventually anyway but should reduce the likelihood that there is ever enough current there to cause a fire. I plan on doing that upgrade for both my trucks this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726