Does anyone have....

82fordtruck

Reaction score
A big block zf tranny and need a diesel one? I would like to put one on my 82 behind a 400. I finally got that running yesterday. I'm ashamed to say that it sat for a year and a half because of a loose starter cable at the solenoid.

But, it runs very nicely now, and I'm pissed that I didn't park it with full tanks last time. I filled up my diesel yesterday, and could only bring myself to fill one tank on that thing. $150 for fuel in a day is too much for me.

I know someone that has a diesel tranny, and the engine got the big "C", so I don't suspect any problems with it, but I'd have to look at it first. It's out of an 87. I was going to buy it, but just remembered that it won't work.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the plates I made to drill a diesel housing to fit my 460, your 400 is the same bolt pattern. I can tell you exactly how i did it then you can bolt it all up.
Russ

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Are the ratio's the same too? I thought they were different. That 400 is a POS - torque wise. I think it needs a cam. 15k brings it on it's knees, it can barely drive loaded with a 5k trailer in tow.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the torque of 400. From the factory they were choked back for emission purposes. The cam timing is retarded from the factory. A mild cam and after-market timing gears will wake the engine up. There are also after-market 4-barrel intakes avail. If your willing to spend a couple hundered bucks on timing and cam, you can turn that P.O.S. into a stump pulling demon.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
A big block zf tranny and need a diesel one? I would like to put one on my 82 behind a 400. I finally got that running yesterday. I'm ashamed to say that it sat for a year and a half because of a loose starter cable at the solenoid.

But, it runs very nicely now, and I'm pissed that I didn't park it with full tanks last time. I filled up my diesel yesterday, and could only bring myself to fill one tank on that thing. $150 for fuel in a day is too much for me.

I know someone that has a diesel tranny, and the engine got the big "C", so I don't suspect any problems with it, but I'd have to look at it first. It's out of an 87. I was going to buy it, but just remembered that it won't work.

My Dad's got a '91 F350 4x4 with a 460/ZF5 that he's not using. I'd like to have the diesel ZF5 if it from a 4x4 and you wanna switch. I'll talk to him and see what he wants to do.

Heath

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I'm trying not to underestimate that thing- but my wife doesn't want me to spend any money on it. She actually wants me to sell it, but it was my first truck, and I made a lot of money painting houses driving that truck every day.

I put a new 400 in it, and it was worse than the old one. So, when the battery cable came loose, it got parked and I didn't care. But, I have new dual exhaust, new engine and most accessories, and I put a new edelbrock carb and intake on there. I used a 650 CFM quadrajet. It runs very nice, but I never picked up any efficiency.

What can this truck do with an overdrive transmission, and a good cam straight up? Can I get about 15 mpg out of her, or is that too much to ask? The power doesn't really bother me, I have my other truck for that stuff, so it will rarely tow, except maybe off road, like getting firewood.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
hesutton said:
My Dad's got a '91 F350 4x4 with a 460/ZF5 that he's not using. I'd like to have the diesel ZF5 if it from a 4x4 and you wanna switch. I'll talk to him and see what he wants to do.

Heath

It needs to have a 460, or it won't bolt on. Let me know.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I think you could expect 12-15 mpg, with a good cam. Personally I would go with a short duration with mild to high lift, depending on what the factory valve springs can handle, 500 lift? The heads on those engine's flow real well. You can practically stuff a golf ball down the intake ports. With a cam that matches the potential of the intake, carb and exaust, you can build a strong, fuel efficient runner. Summit has some cheap cams in the range of what I'm talking about.http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294887637+4294908331+4294840135&autoview=sku

Check out summit's online store, if you think that you might want a better cam. Alot of people dismiss these motors as boat anchors, but with a little attention and the right parts, these motors can be fire breathing dragons.

sassyrel

Reaction score
as pipeliner said--the 351 and 400m aint nothing but a detuned cleveland--the right cam--intake--and carb--and good dual exhaust--hang on--theyll scream--suggested this to a guy where used to work--said used no oil--told him what to get--he said after that no problem breaking all four tires loose in low range 4x4--pulling a 500 bushel gravity box out of field!!!! before could barely move a 350 bushel!!!--also--as he said--get the oldest timing chain and gears--puts the cam straight up--and if you still feel frisky--have the distributor recurved--there clear off base for performance----

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
Heath, you're in Kentucky, right?

The truck with the gasser ZF5 is. I currently live in Toledo, OH. Wish I still lived in KY to be honest. It's too dang cold up here.

Heath

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That rebuilt 400 you have probably has a reground cam in it . Not good no matter what they tell you. The comp 265 is good with auto, if you go to the stick I would put in a 270 or so. New springs and like was advised short duration lots of lift, builds good cylinder pressure and they will pull, built one for a bronco 10 years ago and the guy gets 14 pulling his 23" tt and loves it.
my 2c ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online

No members online now.