DNE2 gear box oil

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just stuck my new (to me) Doug Nash dne2 gear box in today. It's an overdrive model with a pto cover on the drivers side. It was a direct bolt in. I even dug through my pile of random driveshafts and found one that was 1/4" too short but worked perfect.

After I took it for a test drive I thought I better check the oil in it, and of course it was low. Luckily it came with the book and it says to use 80/90 synthetic gear oil. Even luckier I had some 75/90 synthetic.

When I drained the old oil out I would bet a paycheck it was ATF some one had in there.

I replaced it with the gear oil I had but then I got curious if these boxes were like the old 4 speeds that don't care as long as its oil.

So what are you guys with the us gear boxes running for oil??

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use 80-90 regular, IIRC the manual cautions to only use a quart. Synthetic would probably be better.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd use synthetic gear oil. Might be okay with some of the synthetic manual trans oils (amsoil mtf for ex) but I wouldn't run atf.

Oil is oil, yes, but the properties are different. ATF is a thinner oil designed for hydraulic use and pressure lubrication. Gear oil is design with a high viscosity and "stickiness" to lubricate gear and splash oil systems. Your DNE box has regular helical gears, roller and plain bearings - they all work best with a thicker more viscous oil. ATF would probably work ok, but you run the risk of having too thin of oil not getting distributed to everything as well, and would more easily get squeezed out.

Also, that cover is *not* a PTO - it's just the access cover for the shift mechanism.

See http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?65234-US-Gear-Dual-Range-Doug-Nash-Info&highlight= for more info.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I put synthetic gear oil back in. It defiantly got quieter with the thicker oil. I was just curious what other people were running.

And in 80% positive it is a pto port, my book shows a PTO and non pto version. Not like ill ever use it anyway

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you get any pictures? I'd like to see that section of the book as well. I've never heard of a PTO option on one of these, but if my info is wrong I'd like to correct it.

Thanks.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Sure as heck looks like a PTO cover.....

Doesn't make much sense to me though, there's no way to put one of these in neutral, and you're output rpm is going to be pretty low at any kind of reasonable ground speed.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh. Your right. I never put 2+2 together in that.

Unless it was mostly meant for a 4x4 were you could throw the transfer in neutral?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, at least on a Ford that's going to be right where the t-case shift linkage is, and would be very very tight with the drop side of the case, and front driveline all there.

Clearly there was some reason they did it, but it beats the heck out of me why.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online