DMF woes...

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
my truck has started the washing machine sound and has rough idle vibrations :mad: so i need a new DMF/clutch i assume.

question is my clutch was replaced about 5,000 miles ago so can i just get a SMF, install it, and be good? or do i need an entire kit like this:

Ford Light Truck and Van BRONCO:F100-450
Original Quality Clutch Set
Part No:07-131FW
LuK Style Clutch With Solid Flywheel. Indirect Fuel Injection,Non-Turbo, Aftermarket Turbo. Package includes Solid Flywheel & Clutch Set 8 Cylinder
Year:1987-94
Displacement: 7.3L
Disc Size
Outside Diameter: 12
Spline: 1-1/4
Teeth: 10 $540.00

thanks guys :hail

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you'll need the entire kit. :( IIRC, the clutch and pressure plate diameters are different on the SMF setup...12" instead of 11".

If the clutch is that new, I would think long and hard about just doing a Lucky mod...

For the record, I'm running that clutch in my truck right now, and I'm real happy with it. :)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you just did alot of work to your IP and inj......but did these issues with the DMF pop up after your IP retime?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not the DMF then. There may be IP issues. If you have a hotrodded IP, the stock timing setting is not a good idea. try backing it off a little and see what happens. This suggestion is definately "outside of the box" thinking, this is not for the "gotta be factory" guys but one that will keep your DMF happy longer. Stake your settings, move the pump and if you're not happy, you can always return it back to where you started.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Nick,
I gotta agree with Calvin also.
Could even have an injector or 2 giving ya fits. Struggled thru the same problems at an idle with Goldie. Anything over 800 rpms was smooth as silk.
Problem found? Leaky injector and a couple ******* straight streams. Only had 32k on em. Just a thought also.

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
now that you mention it there is some white smoke that wasn't there before... but could that make my DMF sound bad? it still has a nasty rattle from the tranny area cookoo

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Nickbf2504x4 said:
now that you mention it there is some white smoke that wasn't there before... but could that make my DMF sound bad? it still has a nasty rattle from the tranny area cookoo

Nick that's a big 10-4 good buddy. :puke:

Can ya idle it up 100-200 rpm and it goes away?

If'n ya look back a few pages I had a similar problem. Heck changed Lift pump, IP then finally listened to the guys and pop tested the injectors. cookoo
Found 3 bad ones with 32,000 miles on them.
I ordered 8 new injectors and pop tested them 2 brand new injectors were bad. Called up MWFI and they sent me 2 "new". ones. Got a 3rd "new" bad injector. -cuss
Mel has a good story about carb building personalities but anyway. I had the same rattling problems that you are experiencing. If'n ya have a way to get the injectors tested, I would start there. Sounds like ya have a bad one or 2.

Might try cracking the injector lines first tho and see if ya can isolate the bad one. :backoff

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Souinds to me like you got two different problems. The tranny rattle IS most likely the DMF. Consider the lucky mod, and save your money for new injectors.

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
so drove the truck again today...i hardly hear anything from the tranny area and the clutch works very well...smoke is intermittant and it runs really good above 2,000 rpms but rough under...im thinkin injectors for sure...plus i have this new IP doesnt it make sense that this could put some extra pressure on the old injectors? :Sly

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think you have your answer.....
pull the injectors and pop test them. Betcha you are gonna find a bad one. I had one go bad in a motor once and hydrolocked a cylinder with feul. :eek: