diesel smell

d41

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm gettin a strong raw unbernt diesel smell or could it be exaust in the cab only when stopped at a light , parking lot.... I haven't found any leaks. Any one else ever experiance anything like this ? been happing for awhile but tonite apperard to be worse.
Thanks,
Bill

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't take much leakage to get the smell. A couple drops evaporating off the engine is all it takes.

Take a close look at all the injector return caps, they can seep and be wet without leaking a lot. Don't go wiggling them or you WILL have a leak.

oregon dw

Reaction score
While on the subject of diesel smell:

I just started using Diesel Kleen after changing the IP and injectors on my 85 6.9 this month. I'm smelling a much different type exhaust smell then before.

Is this normal when using Diesel Kleen or other such type products or is it a indication of the IP not timed right or something else. Water and oil level are staying the same.

d41

Reaction score
RE:

Well I got a chance to look under the hood today, I diddn't see anything around the injectors or lines, the valley underneath & behind the IP appears to be a little damp, no puddles or fuel just a little damp. but IP & all connections are dry.
The truck is all original with only 36K miles 1994 idi (my dad passed it on to me) and it sat A LOT, At times it idels kinda rough I've double doesed with stanadyne and regular dose every fill up,
I know it's not good for things to sit, so wondering what damage is done from lack of use. I'm I looking at ingector replacement and ???
Thanks for helping a clueless IDI guy out.
Bill,

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace the returnd lines, caps, and O rings. They are probably due anyway. Although I think your truck was made after the swithch to low suflur deisel so is shouldn't eat the lines like on the 92 and older trucks you can get kits at these places. http://www.mwfi.com/dieselPage/nav_73.htm#6.5inj http://www.dieselpage.com/dlk.htm I think I got mine from an online source called DeiselGarage.com but I couldn't find a link. I wen't with the Stanadyne brand kit and it seems to be good. I believe if you replace the injectors you will need this kit anyway.

d41

Reaction score
RE:

Thanks,
OK dumb question, When I replace the return lines n caps will air be let into the fuel system ? And have to bleed ?
Today I found that the only time I smell deisel in the cab is when the environment control switch is in the vent position ???
Thanks, again.
Bill

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes you will need to bleed the system. I only smelled the fuel when the heater was on originally as well. once it started leaking more I noticed it all the time.