Diesel in the valley

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I was under my truck changing the oil when I noticed a wet spot on the rear side of the oil pan. It wasn't red (tranny leak) or black (leaking rear main seal) so I opened my hood and smelled diesel in the valley. Since the truck was cool, I cleaned it up with brake cleaner and a clean rag. The obvious cause is a leak in my fuel pump, but is there anything else that will cause a slow diesel leak in the valley? How can I verify that my pump is leaking? I know Ford will charge me dearly to replace the pump, but I want to be sure what's causing the leak before they take me to the bank.

Last edited:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Is the fuel definatly comming from the fuel pump.....or around the drivers side of the fuel filter where the regulator/shrader valve is?

Is the filter cover tight?

Are the lines dry?

just a few thoughts;)

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Originally posted by geonc
Is the fuel definatly comming from the fuel pump.....or around the drivers side of the fuel filter where the regulator/shrader valve is?

Is the filter cover tight?

Are the lines dry?

just a few thoughts;)
Geo, To be honest...I have no friggin' idea where the fuel pump is located or even what it looks like :***: :D. Definately not around the fuel filter bowl (lid is tight) or on driver's side where the regulator/shrader valve is. The leak seems to be at rear of engine and underneath...at the front of the valley of death. Nothing at eye level is wet.

Bean

Reaction score
DOnt take it to Ford, they will charge you a fortune. In thier books its like a 8hr job, says to pull turbo to replace pump, dont have to though.

The pump is right behind the filter. You can do it yourself, anyone can do it really. Just need a 1 1/8" wrench to get the banjo off and some time and patience to deal with the fuel bowl and the little hoses.

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bean
DOnt take it to Ford, they will charge you a fortune. In thier books its like a 8hr job, says to pull turbo to replace pump, dont have to though.

Dang Bean now your taking money from the Stealerships:D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Richard,

Double check the filter drain valve too, that little yellow jobber on the front right side of bowl. Sometimes they weep and cause a problem as well.

Mike

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
The last thing I would do to myself is to intentionally get ripped off by a Ford stealership. I stopped by an International dealer near my shop and talked to the service manager (a heck of a nice guy w/ 20 plus years experience as wrench). He got his shop foreman (w/ twenty plus years as a wrench also) to do a mirror/flashlight inspection immediately but the black plastic engine cover was in the way so I removed it. Once off, he saw waaaaaaaaay to much oil/fuel over everything for him to locate the leak so he suggested having it steam cleaned which he did then air dried it with compressed air. The plan is for me to drive it for a week and then stop by for another inspection so the leak can be pinpointed. They quoted me a price for a fuel pump plus labor which was just over half what Ford quoted me...if that was where the leak was from (they are 95% sure)...but since the fuel pump is an International part...they said it will have a life time warranty and a life time warranty on the labor...far better than the 12K/12 month offered by Ford. They also offered me a free loaner when the work will be done. DID I SAY THAT THE FLASHLIGHT/MIRROR INSPECTION, STEAM CLEANING & AIR DRYING WAS DONE FOR FREE? ;Sweet Gotta love International! Ford would NEVER do THAT for free. BTW, the area around the fuel bowl was bone dry.

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats good news Richard. Its nice to hear reports of positive experiences with service folks. If and when you get the work done, be sure to drop the name of the shop here and give them a plug. Let the diesel heads inside the shop know where you hang your hat at online too!!

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
Thats good news Richard. Its nice to hear reports of positive experiences with service folks. If and when you get the work done, be sure to drop the name of the shop here and give them a plug. Let the diesel heads inside the shop know where you hang your hat at online too!!

:Thumbs Up

And to thinn' that happend out in Kaliforniee:eek:

Ditto that last statment:cheers:

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
So today I checked under the fuel pump and sure enough there was a fresh puddle. Drove back to get a second free inspection from the shop foreman and to schedule the work for tomorrow early a.m.. While there, I noticed an International window decal on the front door of the service dept. Since the service manager and I are old buddies (24 hours old :D) I asked him for a decal but no luck....

You must be registered for see images

Let the diesel heads inside the shop know where you hang your hat at online too!!
...but he gave me an International embroidered baseball cap...for free ;Sweet.

FYI:
Bayshore International
35 North Amphlett Blvd.
San Mateo, Ca 94401
(650) 347-4051

Last edited: