Delete Cruise Control

idiambulance

Reaction score
My cruise control has never worked and honestly I never use it so im fine just getting rid of it. Im not sure which but I either want to install a transformer or a less likely a diesel heater where it currently is. Ive seen a ton of posts about repairing it but im curious what suggestions you have for just removing it all together. I gotta look closer but it looks like I should be able to connect the vacuum lines to each other and just delete everything else. I didnt have much luck finding a post strictly talking about removing it.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
It should not be a big deal to delete.

Some thoughts -

1) Pull it and the cable out that goes to the IP. (You do not want something binding up your throttle.)
2) I don't recall, but guessing the vacuum lines originate from a vacuum T (Behind the air cleaner on a pickup, not sure on a van.) Somewhere between the vacuum pump and the brake booster. I would pull the whole line back to that. Pull the line off and put a rubber cap on the fitting.(Auto parts store has them.) That way no loose ends or something that can fall on the exhaust. If you have two lines do the same with the other.
3) If there is a fuse just for the cruise control system pull that.
4) Tape off the connector on the cruise throttle control in the engine compartment to prevent it from corroding or arcing out on something.

I would think that would do the trick. If I get a chance I will go out and look at mine to see what else you might need to do.

Mine does not work, but I think it is a electrical problem in the steering column.

idiambulance

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the advice and taking a look at your rig. Im gonna look closer with this new advice. Make sure I have what I need before I yank it off.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC the two vacuum lines should not be hooked together. One runs to a vacuum dump at the brake pedal. You could loose all the vacuum in the system when you applied the brake. Just cap them both off, or you could remove the line and dump from the brake pedal assembly all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk