Decided Not to Add 4x4 - instead 4x2 on '94 e350 van

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After much research I have decided to not convert my wanna be e350 sportsmobile project van to 4x4. it's tempting but too damn expensive to warrant at this time. Instead, it will get a mild lift, and I will add a rear air locker. Not really going to 4 wheel this rig anyway as even when I had 4x4 I rarely had to use it. Two drive wheels should be enough - and it is getting a new remaned trans as my e40d went out in the fall and I have been mulling over this decision for months. Hope to raise it, remove medical top and add pop top, add rear locker and front/rear end lift along with larger mud/snow type tires and perhaps then I can finally begin the camper conversion within - wish me luck!

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
This is the same conclusion I came to on my '97 E250.

I really, really wanted the "awesomeness" factor of a 4x4 camper van, but the costs far outweighed the benefits in my case...

For what I do with my van, and with the fiberglass top, I really would get much more use out of a couple inch lift and a locker.

On my van I have rear spring overloads, as well as 235/85R16 BFG All Terrain "E" rated tires, those two things alone netted me close to 2 inches of lift. Add in a couple more and things would be perfect!

;Sweet

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can slowly get the parts you need for the conversion, and when you have it all then do it, even if it takes a few years, you might not need it but if its something you want why not do it, just buy them slowly, took me a year to build one of the engines i had because i had to buy the parts slowly

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! I have a lead on a pop top removed from a van - removing the medical top will be a pain but miss a pop top!