dead on the road

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
my brother in law called his 85 f250 that i sold him about a year ago just quite. he said he just suddenly lost power to everything, lights, radio, wipers all except his 4 ways. he says nothing else even tries to come on, thats a good one the only thing i could tell him is battery cables. is there a main fuse that could blow leaving the main fuse block dead he says the fuses are fine? any help would be appreciated i feel bad for him.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Common for the main ground on the gassers at the mid way connection on the block to corrode, but I'm not sure on an IDI how the cables are connected and where they go.

Adrianspeeder

subway

Reaction score
thats one of the things i suggested to him but he has dual batteries both going seperatly to the block. he dousent have any tools but i told him to start jiggling wires and checking the ones next to the block for to much corrosion.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the fusible links at the starter relay ,sounds like one burnt.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Big wire that goes from alternator to starter relay(or glow plug relay--I have seen it both ways) has a connection under about a mile of black tape.

This can get corroded and nothing, except flashers, will work.

subway

Reaction score

Big wire that goes from alternator to starter relay(or glow plug relay--I have seen it both ways) has a connection under about a mile of black tape.

This can get corroded and nothing, except flashers, will work.

that seems to be it (i didnt even know thet had them), he lucked out and had a diesel mechanic stop and help him. played with that enough to get it going and he is fine now, crap like that usually is someting simple. thanks everyone ;Sweet

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a green and a yellow wire that has a connector in the middle of them. I had this connector go bad on me last week and I just put a new butt splice for each line.

The yellow line is a pretty hefty gauge, so use a yellow butt splice connector. A blue connector will do for the green line.

The connector is on the passenger fender well usually right behind that side's battery and near the voltage regulators and relays.