Dana 50 U-joint replace

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to replace the drivers side u-joint as it was toast. What a total pain in the butt, spent the biggest part of the day doing just one side. Worse part was getting the spindle off, soaked it with penetrating oil and and use a flat wide chisel and finally got it off.

I had 2 different u-joints that I had saved from some where in the past when I replaced the U-joints in both of my drive shafts, both were good enough to be saved when I replaced all the u-joints in the front and rear drive shafts.

As I didn't know what size the stub axle u-joint was I got the smallest one out that came out of front drive shaft and NO FIT, too small, OK try the one that came out of the rear drive shaft and guess what, it was the same size as the one in the stub shaft. So now I have a greasable u-joint for the front axle stub shaft and I CAN GET A GREASE GUN ON IT. I was told I would not be able to grease it and I would break off the fitting when I used 4X4. I tried it out and I did not break off the fitting.

Now I get to replace the passenger side today but I had to get a new U-joint. I went to my local NAPA and had them look up the number for the front stub axles and cross it and sure enough the rear drive shaft has the same number as the stub axle. This I am sure is going to be another ordeal getting the spindle off but now I have some insight as how to get the job done.

Just thought I would share this bit of info

Jim

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dana 50

The indapenant fronts have 3 jointe in the front.
The pass. side you have to pull the 3 bolts holding the inner to the the diff.
As far as grease all the ones I used that were greaseable had the fitting on a cap on the independant.
If not indapenant make sure you are the grease fittings in ward,away from the tire.
good luck
John

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
I've found out for the driveshafts at least, ford used different sized ujoints and straps for different days of the week.

I have a feeling now that I did the front shaft for the '88, now the joint's in the TTB are gonna pop... grrr

Adrianspeeder

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope never broke any of the zerk fittings even with the wheels turned hard either way so all is good.
As for which side is the hardest I would rate them the same, even it took less time to do the passenger side, went better because I knew what I was in for and had all the right tools ready today.

One strange thing did occurred, after I got both done I went out and tried them out and found both front wheels are pulling. I even unlocked one side and the side that was still locked pulled. No matter which side I unlocked the other side would pull (on soft wet dirt and transfer case in high or low}. With both hubs lock in I can throw mud with both front wheels or unlock one side and throw mud with the side that is still lock in.
Go figure??????????????????????

Jim

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well yesterday I had a chance to use 4wd, got about 4" of snow and do t I live on back roads the snow plows had not got there yet. I had to go to the store, well didn't really have to, so out I went. There are 2 hills on my way that are posted "Not passable for Heavy Truck and Semi's" so the way I went. Boy was that fun, going down was not the most fun as there are 2 hair pin turns, but going up was great fun. With the 285/75/16 I had just put on with limited slip and the fact that my front axle pulls with both wheels, she came up with no problems what so ever. I could even nail it and pick up speed throwing snow on the front side of my mirrors.
I even pulled 3 people out of ditches, Ole truck just did great, could not be more pleased. Got some whine out of T-case but I think this is normal, I was concerned with the front axle pulling with both wheels I might have a steering problem but none what so ever. I have no idea what has been done to the front axle to make it pull like that but I'm not complaining.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online