Dana 50 ttp fluid swap?

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but for the Dana 50 is there a cover or are you pulling the entire pumpkin to do a fluid swap?

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Was afraid of that, sucked out what I could and poured fresh in, Ill probbly end up doing the same thing again in a week or 2 to help get the rest of the old fluid out.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was afraid of that, sucked out what I could and poured fresh in, Ill probbly end up doing the same thing again in a week or 2 to help get the rest of the old fluid out.
Leave it full and use an air drill then thread it for a pipe plug. I used 1/4 because that's what was laying on my box at the time.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Ya Im just torn between doing the rebuild this front end could use (brakes, ball joints, springs, pivot bushings, shocks and might as well do u-joints and wheel bearings while Im in there, already done tie-rods) vs finding a D60 at the junkyard and swapping it in (post rebuild) rebuilding the D50 would be cheaper but just as much work and would still have the POS TTB axle, if I get a D60 from the junkyard Id go through and replace everything including doing a 35spline axle upgrade and tru-track upgrade which would end up costing more but give me a MUCH better (and more user friendly) axle. Besides if I drill a hole in the bottom of the diff I get my drill and myself all covered in oil (at least lightly) :)

Oh and to add to the fun based on how long it took to pump out fluid vs refill its got a leak somewhere (twice as long to refill, didnt measure what I took out as drain pan was already partially full and covered) so Ill probbly end up resealing the diff anyways (recently obtained truck, hadnt played with 4X4 yet so hadnt touched the front diff fluid)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online

No members online now.