damn is my truck going to blow up?(video inside)

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never experienced this before on the truck, I have a bad feeling this isn't an injector. I ran it on atf for a bit and left it primed with the stuff and will let it sit overnight for the hell of it.

Hopefully the video conveys whats going on, I am scared to drive it now, it sounds like hell at idle up near the engine and has oil. If you drive it, it doesn't seem down on power but smokes a bit until getting on the freeway where that clears up and then I imagine the other engine noises drown out whatever is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNrid1xxEK0

Thanks for any info!

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well from the video I would say it sounds and looks like an injector but its hard to tell from video.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hard to tell, but i would guess youre talking about the "clanking"? Ive heard of broken flexplates, i see yours is a C6 truck. Maybe thats what it is. Or if it just sounds really loud, could be the advance plunger in the pump is stuck.

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its like huffing from my cowl intake, and the sound resonates all the way back to the tail pipe. I have seen an injector knock and tick and be the oddball miss or whatever, but I have never had one whoof in the engine bay can they make noises come through the engine like that, or to hear it back in the tailpipe?

So noisy with a funky idle in the engine bay I'm afraid something is gonna blowup on me, I'm scared to take the air cleaner off to get to the injectors. But I will do that in the morning.

Also just wondering does it matter if the exhaust pipes have leaks in the gaskets where the runs mate? Mine after the y pipes gasket is blown out and I can feel the air/smoke shoot out from that spot.

Last edited:

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
That almost sounds like a bad exhaust valve if it's nothing to do with the IP or injectors....

Is by any chance the fuel turned up on that thing, or running high EGT's?

Truck#3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it sounds exactly like a valve not sealing the valve guides wear out. I wouldent be surprised if its leaving a valve stamp on the piston.

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No egt gage or changed fueling. I did rent the timing tool a month ago and thought I had it good. Power increased with some cackle. Truck didn't even leave a cloud when pulling our typical trailer load on some of our normal hills, it actually was holding 2nd gear allot of the times :)

I don't know how these engines work, I will do the injector thing for fun. When that doesn't work out I assume it shouldn't be driven? What would happen if you keep driving it like that? For some reason the noises are masked inside and out when on the gas :)

Also we have no room to swap engines, etc. so any work would have to be done with the engine in the truck. Is the work involved possible in truck and worth the $$$ in parts? Its a terrible looking beater inside and out so no shell to care about here.

I am thinking its time to move on to a nicer truck but have no clue how to get the most $$$ from it as is. I have never junked a car before. I can borrow a flatbed trailer to transport it if need be, but not sure if I should break it apart somehow or dare try and sell it as is, can't see who would want it :(

thank you, merry christmas to me I guess. terrible week for me, my tranny is going on ford aspire and i did something bad to my old vw diesel jetta and hope I can get it going tomorrow.

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i started it today and let it come down off high idle. it is not running smoothly either way.

i cracked each injector one at a time until fuel came out, then moved onto the next and there was never a change in the huffing from the intake. and it sounds like a tick from the exhaust.

if i pull the valve covers what obvious stuff am i looking for? i can't take it apart further than that, i will probably need to drive it to its eventual death site.

thanks!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i pull the valve covers what obvious stuff am i looking for? i can't take it apart further than that, i will probably need to drive it to its eventual death site.

Lose rocker arms, broken springs, bent push rods, broken rocker bolts heads, broken rocker keeper, no oil up thru push rods, little things like that.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just helped a guy with 6.9 that sounded just like that. It had blown a gasket between the two middle cylinders on the drivers side. Won't know for sure till you pull it apart.