D60 kingpin

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have a 89 d60 on My 93 ford 4wd conversion, the other day I lifted the drivers side wheel and I could feel a slight side to side movement when I grab the wheel top and bottom and push in opposite direction. I remember reading this complete d60 tear down thread but maybe it was on pirate 4x4, I did a search and didn't find much here either (maybe I'm using the wrong words), is there a way to adjust the springs to eliminate this or is it time to rebuild?

I did all new bearings when I got it but I did not mess with the king pins since they where and still are tight but at some point I'll have to rebuild it so any suggestions as to where is a good place to purchase a kit?

Also I have a vibration (or brum brum noise) when pushing the truck on the highway faster than 65mph, does not happen on deceleration only when I'm giving it fuel and only happens on 5th gear since I only make to 65mph on 4th gear. It does it all the way up to 80mph maybe faster but I never drive that fast I was just testing it. It has play on the rear axle Ujoint and I will be replacing that but I was wondering if it could also come from the front.

Thanks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me...by your description...wheel bearings need adjustment or replacement...not sure without a look see!

I could be wrong...but that's my first thoughts...maybe a time for a repack too!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'll try that then, I just checked rock auto but I have a feeling I will order something wrong so I'll have to get them at napa.

Thank You.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an excellent tech write-up with lots of good pictures on either Diesel Truck Resource(in the 1st Gen. "stickies") or at Ramcharger Central in the tech articles section, that describes complete king-pin replacement on a King-Pin Dana-60.

I can't remember which site, but it is one of the two mentioned.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Movement when push/pull is on the sides is from wheel bearings, when up/down its kingpins or balljoints pending which is aplicable. Far as parts go last I looked 4wdfactory.com had a decent setup but since I dont have a Dana 60 yet havnt looked to hard

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well I pulled the wheel yesterday and re tighten the bearings (also broke the little pin on the nut that holds the washer :mad:) and did the same thing and still feel the movement, but this time I can see it is at the king pins. I pulled the cap from the tower and I don't see a way to adjust the spring at all, just leave it there and drive the cap down with the four bolts. Maybe at this point I need to change the KP for some new ones or is there a bushing that should go there?

I put it all back together since I need to use the truck but I'll provably have to go back to it with a rebuild kit.
I'll post pics when I get the kit and take it apart.
Thanks.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen people stack washers under the cap to tighten the spring up. Usually when running larger tires.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Last edited:

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
That's the write up I followed to rebuild mine. I ordered the 7/8 allen from Matco, to my door for 35 bucks I think. The kingpin kit I ordered from offroad designs. That was 130 or so to my door for both sides. They actually are pretty easy to do, mine was no trouble at all, all done cleaned up painted and back together in an afternoon. Put the races for the lower bearings in the freezer for a few hours, they drive in so much nicer since you do it laying on your side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online