D50 bucks and hops when turning in 4x4, but I'm running it as a FWD, what gives?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When not in gear the output on the transmission is not being forced to run at a constant rpm from the engine. The transmission output can know speed up and slow down as it is driven by the front end, although this could still produce some vibration and weird sounds from the driveline banging back and forth as slack is taken out one way then the other.
I agree, the speed up and slow down would not affect the rest of the vehicle so it's still happening but no longer connected to the engine speed. So many new wrinkles in my brain!

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also does the same thing if you leave the transfer case in 2WD but lock the hubs.
My d50-powered Mazda b2600i does this as well, if I leave the front end locked but put TC in 2wd.

I would say your hubs are staying locked. Even in 2wd.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

RuzzL

Reaction score
Operated a CJ7 in FWD after breaking one of the rear Dana axles back in the day. Never had an issue like that.
But I've driven some Fords that simply don't seem to have any slip in the front differential after locking the hubs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online