cummins auto trans gen 1

Rob

Rob
Reaction score
What is the best auto trans to put behind the 1st gen cummins

MUDDY

Reaction score
moved to ist gen forum

well,,,,,,,,,,,, the 48re is the choice. lookin fwd to this weekend when i can view a 90 w/ a 48re conversion. hopefully he will respond to this thread with the conversion details.

Rob

Rob
Reaction score
I would be very interested in the details on the conversion. i was just trying to stay away from the computer because this application is going to be for offroad use only in a 92 extended cab ctd with 2 1/2 ton rockwells on 46" goodyears. i really wanted a strong 3 sp auto with no computer. some people say there is a allison auto that can be used but i don't know which one to look for. any body got any good ideas, i'm tired of the getrag 5sp

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
KTA-Cummins on diesel-central has one of the baddest first gens out thier and he says you can build the 727 torque flight to hold.

Andy

Ggg

Reaction score
The mechanical Allison you are looking for is the AT series, such as the AT545 not any of the new world series. The next bigger is the MT series but I believe they are too big to fit in the trans tunnel. Since you said for off road only I will assume you do not care about highway speeds or economy. Then the choice is simple, A727, it can be built to be one of the most stout trannies ever made. Goerend Brothers in IA is the trans shop to talk to about building one.

SKimballC

Reaction score
The 47RH from 94-95 or the 518 from 91(?) to 93 can be used without a computer with a couple of oil pressure switches to control the 3-4 shift and TCC lockup. Pretty much like this-
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/alto_3.htm
Though you could use more appropriate switches for your setup with them big honkin' tires. I talked to a couple transmission guys, one at ATS and one at BD Power who both said that the pressure switches work great, and I found some factory diagrams and the test port on the 47RH is the same as the 518 in the above link.
Though, again, for your application you may not need an OD transmission.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance