Crazy idea...diesel in a 96 Isuzu Trooper

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta be a manual trans! I really have no idea what this thing has in terms of gear ratios in the diff. I'd really like to use either an Isuzu or GM transmission to make for a minimal mess throwing the whole thing together. I have heard about 4 speed Muncie GM transmissions around but very little about 5 speeds, so I didn't know for sure if such a thing existed behind the 6.2/6.5. I could also handle a GM or Isuzu 4 speed with an aux od like a DNE2 or laycock O/D, but then I can imagine that drivetrain starting to get complicated and expensive.

for simplicity i would run a 4.3 gm manual(3550) and t case.

6.2/6.5 into that into the oem diffs and your good to go. worry about axle swaps and optimizing economy later, its gonna get better economy no matter what.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No kidding, that thing sucked all the cash out of my brother's wallet and some of my dad's too when he helped him out. I figure it should get whatever a 6.2 gets in a fullsize 1/2 ton or full sized blazer. The GM manual you speak of is that the 4 speed or the 5 speed? What applications had them? Thanks

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 speed....nv3500 actually. i have put that in a jeep and a f150:eek:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah I gotcha. I saw that transmission on the Novak site listed under 5 speed transmissions. First I've ever heard of it. Something else I've wondered, since it seems that the Dodge and GM NV's are pretty similar. I have a friend who has a Getrag 360 Dodge 5 speed from behind a 1st gen Cummins. Is this going to have a similar bolt pattern to a GM or am I buying myself more headaches?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dodge manuals have an input shaft that is longer than most any other trans on the planet, with some Jeeps and internationals being the exception. I wouldn't try to adapt a Dodge trans to anything but a Dodge unless you can readily change the input to a GM application like you can with the 4500.
Travis..

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my area the manual 4.3 s10 type pickup/blazer trans are hard to find, but 1500 fullsize truck manuals are even harder. 4500's are usually overpriced to the extreme.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of Muncie 4 speeds for GM applications and a lot of old T18/19 and NP435 laying around in my area. I know the GM 4 speed would bolt right up and the Ford 4 speed could probably have an adapter made. Guess I have to go yarding and see what is really out there. I really would want overdrive in this project, but I think even the 4 speed around town economy would be alright and I'd suffer on the highway.