Crackling noise

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm this weird crackling noise. It's hard to explain what it sounds like. Maybe like a blender making a smoothie with small ice chunks left in the mix. It's coming from the center of the dash (not necessarily *in* the dash).

When I bought the truck, my first fear was that it was the turbo but that seems to be fine. Now I am thinking the trans because yesterday it got really loud (it had been fairly quiet and never changed up until then) and when I started moving from a stop, the trans slipped for a bit then slamed into gear.

The noise, once it starts, stays pretty consistent. Doesn't seem to change with speed, rpm, or load but goes away when I come to a stop. I can't make it happen in the driveway.

Any clues where I can look?

Tim.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, auto. E4OD that was supposedly just rebuilt...

I've found references to the noise describe as 'aluminum foil', 'rocks in the converter', and 'marbles in a can' all pointing to the torque converter coming apart. :(

Tim.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly it sounds like the torque converter is coming apart. How do you know the trans was rebuilt. If the seller told you that it may or may not be true. I think it time to have the trans opened up or if you can do it replace the torque converter yourself.. The trans needs to be removed and then the converter slides off the imput shaft. A new or rebuilt one slides back on but make sure its lined up with the indexing marks. Otherwise you will push the front pump thru the body when you force it back on the engine. Never ever use the bolts to draw up the trans to the engine. This should slip together easily and there will be about 1/16 to 1/8 inch between the converter and the flexplate. While in that far check the flexplate for rusty cracks. Sometimes the plates crack. Now is a great time to replace that if its found cracked. If you have the heavy cast iron flexplate and thin steel plate there wont be any cracks.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the seller told you that it may or may not be true.

Yes, that's what the seller said, which is I said "supposedly". ;)

Have to see what this will cost me, I don't have the time to do it myself right now, I've gotta keep this thing rolling.

Tim.

TeufelHundArms

Reaction score
I had a similar sound, it turned out to be the drive shaft carrier bearing. I only heard it when it was in OD (when engine settled down and you can hear).

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanic's diagnosis of my noise is the nylon fork bushing (or whatever it is, specifically) in the transfer case had broken off and pieces were floating around in there.

EDIT: Cancel that. The "just rebuilt" transmission is full of metal bits. :mad:

Tim.

Last edited: