CP3 Replaced

cerberusiam

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I noticed my truck had spring a leak, wet spots on the track bar, tie rod, and front diff. A little looking found fuel dripping if the CPS harness under the CP3. Leaky IP diagnosed and on the way. Replaced today.

I know it wasn't leaking around Christmas as I had been under it putting the RokTek CPS on it. Some where during the temp swings in the last 2 1/2 a leak started. I have put 8k on with the RokTek and never really noticed a difference. No change to the bottom end, no rattle, nothing. I have thought the bottom end was a little weaker than it was new and occassionally there were some barely noticeable surges at 75-80 when driving steady for a period of time. Put it down to winter fuel. Power has always been good and towing is easy. Truck has had 90% premium diesel and PS/MMO every tank since new. The engine has always been quiet and with 30k I wasn't hearing more rattle like others. The only thing that was unusual was the mileage seemed to be creeping up more than it should.

Long story short, the truck now runs like it has a set of performance injectors!! :) Bottom end power increase is very noticeable, a slight rattle under a hard pull, and a crisper sound to engine idle. It now is close to a 12V rattle at idle and low revs. I guess we'll see where the mileage goes. I had the LP checked and it was good by DC's standards, for whatever that was worth. The pump was leaking on the body around where the pieces join. It was hard to tell if it was the front or back seal but was definitely not the weep hole but an external leak. No other changes but the CP3 and the results indicate there has been a slowly developing problem with this pump even before it started leaking. There have been some that suggested a leak is normal as long as it isn't serious and it can be lived with. Not by my experiences. If the CP3 is leaking and the bottom end doesn't seem up to par there is a very good chance the pump is having some problems.

I would have liked to take the pump apart and find out exactly what went wrong and how it looked after 30k or using additives and good fuel. I had requested that but dealer didn't want to play for their reasons. I guess the next time I may have to try out Floor It's new pump mods and see what they can find out with a tear down.

DC and dealer stepped up took care of things, I am happy. :) Just a little disturbed all the latest and greatest things are only getting me 30k before an IP goes TU when my 92 with the old VE was good for 240K before issues. :confused:

Big thanks to Whitmore for the CP3 thread and info. Cheers :thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online