Correct wheel adapters?

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got a 2008 f250 axle on the rear with the 8x170 bolt pattern and factory 18in rims. The front has the stock lug centric 8x6.5 pattern with 16in rims. So I want an adapter to go from the lug centric 8x6.5 to the hub centric 8x170 so I can use the other rims I have so it'll be the same all the way around. Who makes a good quality adapter

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You want to be careful using an adapter on the front end. An adapter will make your front wheels stick out farther from the seating point (the rotors) so they will swing farther during turning. That may make them rub/hit something and may lead to an entire different set of problems.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 2wd coil spring front so there's plenty of room the only thing that I could see hitting is the tires to the frame .

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not the fenders or the bumper? I was thinking about those. Of course the back spacing on the 18" rim may be different too.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Ya, the later wheels have more offset, so will probably 'eat' a typical 1.5" thick adapter.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iv seen some that cost 300 for 2 and some that's only 150. Just looking for a good set that doesn't cost a fortune

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daniel, I guess you got that axle for the Disk Brakes?
It sucks Ford went to the Metric Bolt pattern on the
later trucks. I have been searching for some write ups on adding Disks to the rear of my 86, and came across this thread, changing the bolt pattern to 8X6.6.
Interesting read.

Goat

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brakes are large enough on the 08 and up axles that Im fairly certain 16in rims won't fit. I would have to find 18in 8x6.5 rims when I already have the 8x170 rims. It's more cost effective to just find a good adapter. Eventually I'm going to put a 08 front axle in the truck but for now I just need to find some good adapters

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd try Fearless Fred Goeske. His stuff is top notch and custom/built to order.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just starting thinking, could I redrill the front rotors to the 8x170 is there enough meat on there for that

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might re-think this. Re-drilling the current rotors will weaken the casting around the holes and could lead to the rotor casting failure. I would not mess with the rotors unless you have the knowledge and tools to to do this work.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about using the whole hub and rotor from a 1999 f350. It seems the part numbers for the front bearings are the same so that should mean it would at least work on the spindle. the only problem i can think of is the brake caliper i dont know if it would work.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looked like the newer spindle will most likely bolt right in. As long as the distance between the joints is the same and the diameter of the upper ball joint the part that goes into the caster/camber bushing is the same then it'll work

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I just starting thinking, could I redrill the front rotors to the 8x170 is there enough meat on there for that
The trick I read on pirate4x4 is to drill the existing holes to 3/4" and it slips over 8x6.5" pattern.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01