Correct front spring part #

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to remember when the ttb came out no one had independent front 4wd in a full size pickup. Chevy 3/4 tons with leaf springs did not offer much more clearance between the springs and the bumpers with a straight axle and rode like #$@!. The upward wheel travel is more then the 3/4" between the bumpstop and the spring on the ttb. Ill admit it would have been great if they beefed up the 1/2 ton version with coilsprings, but I imagine public perception was that leaf springs equated a much more rugged design.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to remember when the ttb came out no one had independent front 4wd in a full size pickup. Chevy 3/4 tons with leaf springs did not offer much more clearance between the springs and the bumpers with a straight axle and rode like #$@!. The upward wheel travel is more then the 3/4" between the bumpstop and the spring on the ttb. Ill admit it would have been great if they beefed up the 1/2 ton version with coilsprings, but I imagine public perception was that leaf springs equated a much more rugged design.

Zadly but true...perception

Unimogs have sic gvw and solid axles and coil springz for example and ride nice.....

oztinker47

Reaction score
I figure I'll be able to tell if there's any improvement on the test drive, but first I have to fix the latest fuel leak. That wasn't rain water dripping on me. This one is somewhere in the middle of the truck.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dodges are also pretty horrible in the ride/travel daprtment, and they're also leaf-sprung monobeam fronts... IMHO before GM's IFS came out Fords were the best riding trucks, best handling too for the TTB models.

The 3/4" up-travel came from the OP saying that's what they ended up with cause of springs being too soft and thus sagging too much. But yes, you're right, from the factory it's quite a bit more than that, pushing 3" IIRC at the spring meaning about 4" at the wheel. Which is pretty good all things considered...

D50 with coils was what we had planned before a good-condition D60 popped up for cheap. Ultimately for our needs the D60 was the better choice, as it allows us to run air over soft leaves, whereas the coil-sprung D50 would have been either coils or air - IMHO blended suspension is great in that you get a vastly improved ride yet should one compoment fail (either cracked leaf or blown air bellow) you're not SOL too hard. Our coil-sprung D50 idea isn't dead btw, we got something in the works regarding that, but it's a long-term project and thus progress is very slow...

oztinker47

Reaction score
So I figured out my screwup, someone in the past installed incorrect spring and I stupidly copied their mistake. The truck as actually supposed to have the 3486# springs. $400 lesson learned.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Bummer man!!

I know you probably wouldn't want to do this, but you could prob sell those springs, recoup some money, and get the correct ones

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Comparison of F250 front leaf spring with F350.
You must be registered for see images attach

oztinker47

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
here's a comparison pic of the two, new and old, sorry about the poor lighting

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my springs after many years riding on a d60 swap and factory main leafs. I added a few rear leafs to the underside of the factories witch may have given me a couple inches lift...now it's time for replace, and seein as my truck spends most of its time in a field, I'm thinking I want more arch. I really do not want to lift it much higher, but I can and its not a problem as I'll be replacing the rears also....any suggestions?

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bronco graveyard has a few to choose from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Copy. Is that what I should expect to pay for springs? I was hoping to cut out with less than 600 bucks for all four corners. I'm lookin, lotsa nice stuff there eh?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.