Coolant Resivoir options?

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cooling System Overhaul

With my recently purchased IDI I want to do some one time fixes that I won't ever have to worry about again. Well one of them is my coolant resivoir is cracked at the top held closed with zip ties, very brittle and the cap is what resembles a snap cap to let's say a gallon milk jug. I havent seen any of trucks like mine at the local junk yard but I wanted to know if anyone had done a mod like this. Maybe using a Super Duty or Powerstroke resivoir. Or I may be overthinking this and can pull something out of any other vehicle and it won't make a difference. I'm open to your opinions, so shoot away.
Also the PO when I bough the truck knew nothing about the Cativation problem, so there is just Green coolant in it. I'm going to flush it, but from what I've read it's a good idea to change the hoses too, and might as well change the Thermostat at the same time and the Radiator cap because, why not. Any advice on this? I just don't want to find out half way through the repair that I skipped over something important.

Last edited:

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
I've seen some non-vehicle specific resivoirs at places like autozone and o'reilliy's for cheap.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in the proses of putting a PSD radiator and resivoir in my 91. There was a little of fab work to secure the resivoir but nothing to hard. I will post some pictures once its all done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online