Cool PSD model at work...

jvencius

Reaction score
First off--I apologize for the crappy picture quality--I used my phone to take the pic + I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos so I had to run outside, snap the pic, and run back inside so I didn't bleed out.

Now, for the good stuff--we've got probably a dozen or so of these F-350/PSD equipment tugs around here at work. They're used mostly to pull portable A/C units/light towers/generators/etc... around since a B-52 MIGHT exceed the GCWR for a 1-ton... I just thought they're neat/goofy looking and you might get a kick out of seeing one... :D

Attachments

• PSD.jpg
    PSD.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 57

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love regular cab shortbeds, And I think ford should have made them like that from the factory. With a lift and everything. Just like the old "factory Highboys".

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think ford ever technically called the trucks "highboys". I think that was a name they picked up over the years. It refers to any of the 70's model 4x4s that pretty much looked like it came from the factory on a lifted suspension.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
jvencius,

i'm digging that front brush guard, with a little refinement on that bumper that would look pretty cool.. do you know who made it?

i have a '79 "highboy".. i love that truck, it is a regular cab lwb.. it has had a hard life though (rolled before it was parked), when i move back to Tn in a year i'm going to do a frame off resto on it.... i have been thinking about putting a extended cab and swb bed on the old gal... kind of a one of a kind sort of deal being ford didn't offer that configuration

Last edited:

jvencius

Reaction score
jlayne said:
jvencius,

i'm digging that front brush guard, with a little refinement on that bumper that would look pretty cool.. do you know who made it?

I haven't got the faintest idea, but if I had to bet, I'd say it was locally fab'ed by the vehicle maintenance shop up here. These tugs don't ever go off-road or, for that matter, get driven much faster than 25-30 mph so any "cool" factor to the bumper/guard is a side effect of pure utility.

MudHog

Reaction score
Got a picture of it anywhere?

There is a model truck (and I'm thinking it's the one we arew talking about that I have always liked). I remember only ever seeing them in a regular cab long bed. Never seen them in any other body / bed length combo. I assume they were 70'sish trucks too. A picture would be worht a million words though.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
MudHog said:
Got a picture of it anywhere?

There is a model truck (and I'm thinking it's the one we arew talking about that I have always liked). I remember only ever seeing them in a regular cab long bed. Never seen them in any other body / bed length combo. I assume they were 70'sish trucks too. A picture would be worht a million words though.

sorry i don't have a pic... and the truck (or whats left of it, the body is pretty squashed) is in a barn back home (Tn), i'm pretty sure the only configuration of these trucks are LWB/Reg cab.... it will fit 33's without blinking a eye and although i have never put a set on it.. i'd say 35's... it sets WAY higher than my 2000 SD and neither of them have a lift

oh and the model truck you are talking about... i have seen one to, and have been trying to locate one to buy for some time now (they are a collectable and worth a few bucks)

one more thing the truck refered to as a "highboy" was made between 77-79 and all of them i have seen where F250's

Last edited:

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, your right, all trucks were 133-in wheelbase, longbeds. Except for the F-100's, they had the shortbed model.

I think what throws me, is, the rear axle is moved farther forward, so there is an equal amount of space between the front of the bed, and the rear of the bed, which is kinda the trademark "shortbed" look on the newer style trucks. The new trucks have a really long section in the front of the bed before reaching the axle. I dont like that look.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
I dont like that look.

me either, a toolbox in a SD gives the illusion of the bed being shorter but its still different, but when you need a LWB what else can ya do

now those swb trucks that Dr. Speed posted are some mighty fine automobiles :thumbsup:

DrSpeed

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Yeah, those would be totally sweet trucks, if they actually existed!

Here are the REAL trucks:

Stroked:
You must be registered for see images

Bear Hunter:

DCSpecial:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SOCAPS built a shorty.....not a highboy tho. no photoshop here....

Attachments

• 31It_s_done.jpg
    31It_s_done.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 31Marked_for_the_cut.jpg
    31Marked_for_the_cut.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 102it_is_only_this_big.jpg
    102it_is_only_this_big.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_0822.jpg
    100_0822.jpg