Compression Ratio

FordGuy100

Reaction score
with a descent twin turbo setup and adequate fuel i think we would be much higher than 400hp

Yes, but a lot of modification would have to be done. I would say a good $5-7K. For the amount of fuel it would take to make 400hp, EGT's would get high running the boost a regular CR IDI, you would surely have to drop it to around 19.5:1 or less. Then you would have to stud it, balance the rotating assembly, ect. I figure a good $2500 would have to go into this. Next, you would have to build up a twin turbo setup, with an intercooler (for EGT's), probably around $1000 if you are already turbo charged, more if you start from scratch. Then you would need the fuel components. I figure a Moose pump will supply addicuate fuel for 400hp. You would have to try out those moose injectors as well. There you go, 400hp, maybe not at the wheels, but definatly at the crank. But that is still a lot of money.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Motor built by Hypermax
7.3 block sleeved down to 6.9, twin turbos @ 147 psi, 9:1 compression, diesel only with water injection, 6" girdle, 6000 rpm, double bolted flywheel with three hardened pins, C6 trans, Strange rear end. He said that the block flexes so much that they have to use rubber freeze plugs! 1200HP IDI ran 9sec
:hail :hail :hail

As for the Cummins doing that for long, Maddog, owner of the Fummins has been making well over 1000 for quite a long time.

Attachments

• Ad_60_1.jpg
    Ad_60_1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 25

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Motor built by Hypermax
7.3 block sleeved down to 6.9, twin turbos @ 147 psi, 9:1 compression, diesel only with water injection, 6" girdle, 6000 rpm, double bolted flywheel with three hardened pins, C6 trans, Strange rear end. He said that the block flexes so much that they have to use rubber freeze plugs! 1200HP IDI ran 9sec
:hail :hail :hail

As for the Cummins doing that for long, Maddog, owner of the Fummins has been making well over 1000 for quite a long time.

Who is HE and how much more info can you get from him?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
That was about 10 years ago before big power diesel was the norm. I heard about it from Maddog over on CompD

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That is frigging rediculous....

I say we figure out someone on here who frequents often, and has a lot of knowledge about IDI's, and have them start a paypal. Then we all should donate $10-20 to him. I'm willing to bet, that if enough of us did that, we could fund something like this. Just a thought...

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm my 7.3 is out and im going to take it to the machine shop next week, im in here a lot and im even a mechanic by trade. i work on a lot of different vehicles at the shop and i work on diesels when they come in. hmm maybe i could be the gimmie pig for a good build. i also have 2 tdo5h turbos laying around and i know where i can get an intercooler for my trk. the tdo5h turbos are off of 1st gen eclipses and they are from cyclone engines. also the machine shop im taking it to i work for on the side when he gets super busy, and i also have a degree for machine shop. so if your interested in me i would be willing to do it. if not i understand. hell ill build my engine for nitrous i dont care, i have the kit laying around from my mustang.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey when I build a 6.9 I'm going to go with a lower compression motor I think. I don't think I'll have a problem with starting at 18.5 or 19:1 in Florida, at least not most of the time. I've thought about a custom set of pistons and the turbo IDI rods, or as long as we're using custom slugs, they might could even be designed to use PSD rods since they are very close.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I was thinking something in the 18 or 19:1 range, dont know how it would like Idaho winters but I'd like to try it anyway. plug it in and if the glow plugs wont do it ether should. :kaboom:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The psd rods wont work. The width of the bottom end is about 132 thousands too wide. If you grind them down the larger rod bolts will not hold because of the thin area around them. Otherwise the psd rods are exactly the same diameter top and bottom and length. Nice rod too.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
That is frigging rediculous....

I say we figure out someone on here who frequents often, and has a lot of knowledge about IDI's, and have them start a paypal. Then we all should donate $10-20 to him. I'm willing to bet, that if enough of us did that, we could fund something like this. Just a thought...

I'll do it my paypal is ([email protected]):D;Really

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew you'd tell us again why the PSD rods won't work. I thought it was the pins didn't fit, you're saying its actually a clearance issue and wouldn't work even with custom slugs? If so I really think the turbo IDI rods are plenty good enough for what I want to do. That would be, same ATS non wastegated turbo(single) Moose or DPS pump, possibly Moose Injectors, ARP studs, 18.5 or 19:1 CR, ceramic coating, 4" no muffler exhaust and Hypermax cold air intake. Whatever I can make with that I'll be happy with.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the piston and head design of a chevy 6.2/6.5 is almost exactly reversed in placement compared to the IH 6.9/7.3 both have their plusses and minuses. In short, the swirl chamber is in the lower position of the head compared to the IH. As mentioned earlier, the stroke is shorter on the chevy vs the IH. I'll post a pic in a few days comparing the two. I just finished installing a 6.5turbo into a '83 3/4t 2wd and the throttle response is absolutely wicked....almost like a wound up BB gasser and yes, i can rev the *** out of this motor too:Dcookoo
my opinion on the hp numbers....I don't care what the numbers are if the hp is not useable for the application. So what if IH and GM's idi numbers can't crack the 200hp reality mark for the majority of our trucks. These motors still get the job done at a "reasonable" cost when something breaks. that's a big plus in my book.
hey Mel-
what numbers did you put up on the rollers?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Have you done anything to strengthen the 6.5 block or to strengthen the motor's weak spots? What all can be done to keep those 6.2's/6.5's from grenading?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online