cold starting your truck

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-17 F this AM. I didn't think I needed the truck today, so I didn't plug er in.

1 cycle of the plugs, stock controller, 15/40 Rotella w/3k miles on it. 5-6 secs and she fired.

No problem!

Fresh GP's and a good fuel system I assume? I don't think my truck will start in this weather...

Black dawg

Reaction score
-17 F this AM. I didn't think I needed the truck today, so I didn't plug er in.

1 cycle of the plugs, stock controller, 15/40 Rotella w/3k miles on it. 5-6 secs and she fired.

No problem!

was the temp of your engine -17?

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Fresh glow plugs, plugged in for 3 hours, 15w40 and she cranked over and fired with <10 sec. cranking. I'm happy. 23 degrees. It wouldn't even turn over when it was single digits. I did use a jumper box to fire her off as the batts are 4 and 6 years old.

ohiozj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know... i hate it. i wish it was 38 here

we got about 3-4 inches of snow this morning, so i took the wifes cherokee

oilburners

Reaction score
38 degrees. wow... What ever happened to sitting in the truck and turning the key on to start the truck? Gauges hanging off the engine, a generator in the background running to power the truck? I don't get it. I get in mine, turn the key, tap the pedal, wait, turn the key a little more and it starts. No butchered glow plug wiring and a push button, no ether, no pulling the engine half apart and jumping wires together.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
38 degrees. wow... What ever happened to sitting in the truck and turning the key on to start the truck? Gauges hanging off the engine, a generator in the background running to power the truck? I don't get it. I get in mine, turn the key, tap the pedal, wait, turn the key a little more and it starts. No butchered glow plug wiring and a push button, no ether, no pulling the engine half apart and jumping wires together.

AWWW I only have to do this once in the morning, and I am the only driver for this vehicle, I think it fits me ok.
And that generator is a holley blue fuel pump generating 6 psi to the injection pump.

Glow plugs are not butchered just not plugged into my truck.
I trigger the relay for the G/P with my onboard jumper cables, I use to get you back home if you get a dead battery.

where is the ether? I lost my can, you see it someplace?
what engine did you see half apart? did you eat breakfast yet?

Javier

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a different starter on mine, cranks plenty fast, still doesn't start worth a ****.

Today it was around 10F. Cycled twice, it sputtered two times then nothing. Cycle again, sputters once and thats it. It will only kick once every time you cycle the plugs. Somehow after probly 10 tries it started but I was standing outside the truck and didn't get my foot on the pedal fast enough and it died. Then after recycling the plugs it wouldn't even fire.

I got the battery charger out, left it for about 20 minutes, came back, cycled plugs once, cranked about 10 seconds and it started.

I don't know what to do anymore, I assume all 8 plugs work, they stay on for 15+ seconds. Starting to wonder if controller is going bad again. How many volts should I have coming out of the relay? Is it 6 or 12?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure your problem is glow plugs? If you plug in the block heater and have these problems, you may be looking at the wrong issue.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a different starter on mine, cranks plenty fast, still doesn't start worth a ****.

Today it was around 10F. Cycled twice, it sputtered two times then nothing. Cycle again, sputters once and thats it. It will only kick once every time you cycle the plugs. Somehow after probly 10 tries it started but I was standing outside the truck and didn't get my foot on the pedal fast enough and it died. Then after recycling the plugs it wouldn't even fire.

I got the battery charger out, left it for about 20 minutes, came back, cycled plugs once, cranked about 10 seconds and it started.

I don't know what to do anymore, I assume all 8 plugs work, they stay on for 15+ seconds. Starting to wonder if controller is going bad again. How many volts should I have coming out of the relay? Is it 6 or 12?
you can unplug the relay and jump the glow plugs directly... its alot of amperage so BE SAFE. Give it 10 or 15, whichever you normally do but make sure its real seconds not counting in your head unless you've had practice

If it still doesnt start, I'd check your batteries first and see how healthy they are. Bad batts could be the culprit, a tired engine, dead plug(s)/relay/controller. Off the relay should be the same as your battery(s) almost, near the glowplugs some voltage drop is typical iirc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online