cold starting your truck

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glow plug removal

... But since I tried replacing those plugs and found the swollen heads wanted to separate from the threaded part and I now have two cylinders I need to repair for sure and am hoping to find a way to do it without taking the head off if I can since I was planning a larger truck project for next year which may include a complete rebuild.

Any ideas folks? I guess I should have just kept a can of ether in the truck just in case but it's too late now. Is it possible to block the precup's outlet somehow and knock the tip into it then use a magnet to drag it out the injector hole? Until I can do something to the engine, I won't run it any further than onto the gooseneck and borrow my brother's truck to pull it into a shed so I don't freeze my ball bearings off.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, then I can go back to driving the favorite truck in my fleet. And then I can implement some heater options I have been working on.

Here's two ways I've used to avoid pulling the head(s). Nothing is a sure thing...

There's a special tool that's a split nut -- open the nut and put it on the plug threads, insert spacer under the nut, turn the plug with a socket and hopefully use the threads to jack it out. Without this tool, you run out of threads before the tip comes up the hole. This tool cleverly adds female threads so turning the plug continues forcing it out of the head. Anyway, it's OTC part number 6005.
You must be registered for see images attach

The other way I've done it was to improvise a slide hammer. Small vice grips on the plug, bailing wire on the vice grips, piece of pipe over the bailing wire (slide hammer part), and a socket extension attached to the end of the bailing wire for the pipe to strike against. :sly Sort of proud of this method.

In any case, lots of penetrating oil. Some unsavory words directed at the plug manufacturer also seemed to help.

Best of luck, hope this helps.

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The glow plus come on for a few seconds on the first key turn, if I cycle it off and then back on the light stays on for a half second and turns off again. Is that correct? I know my starter takes a beating - but I'll deal with it when it goes, for now it continues to work.

Yes it is, and its one of the reasons I went manual glow plug myself.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
just had to cold start mine today, about 5* F, cycled GP twice, cranked for 10 sec.and died waited 30 sec. cycled GP again and cranked 5 sec. fired right up, i NEED injectors BAD...and an oil change

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
6 degrees this morning all new motorcraft plugs, no block heater. Didn't start. Kept cranking and cranking kept sounding like it wanted to hit but never did. Then it started cranking slower.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is just something I saw once, and I am not sure the condition of the fuel or glow systems, but

I know Daves farm, don't shoot me...... but this has to be the ultimate cold start.....

A video from Daves Farm (does have a couple of explatives in it)on youtube shows Dave doing a cold start on his IDI that he has thrashed on the farm. He hooked two batteries to it, and showed under the hood, and the snow was drifted in solid around the engine. Climbed in and cleaned snow off from the seat and under the dash (snow was as deep as the seat). Turned the key on, and tje controller ran the glow plugs for at least 25 seconds. He hit the key and it cranked for a few seconds and cycled the plugs again, and it started, it was rough but it started.

So they will start cold........

Davidsfarm has been terminated due to multiple or severe violations.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the condition of the batteries and starter has alot to do with it. with the newer style gear reduction starter the truck starts much faster in the cold with the same everything else.

therifleman556

Reaction score
My block heater cord was toast so when -15 temps hit this morning she waved BOTH fingers at me quite proudly. I think I'm gonna try some of that 5W-40 syn. And the rave reviews the gear reduction starters get is awful appealing. (edit): I just placed an order for one of the DB Nippondenso starters, $97 doesnt seem so bad for a part that takes such a beating! (yet another edit): Should I worry about switching to a 5w-40 syn if my hot idle oil pressure with 10w-30 dino is 12ish psi?

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
9 degrees this morning, 8 shots of either lots of cranking sputtering smoking missing and coughing and finally it roared to life

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
-17 F this AM. I didn't think I needed the truck today, so I didn't plug er in.

1 cycle of the plugs, stock controller, 15/40 Rotella w/3k miles on it. 5-6 secs and she fired.

No problem!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online