cold starting your truck

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished my GP bypass last night. I plugged the truck into the GF plug on my garage, but when I came out this morning, the block heater had popped the breaker on the GF plug, and the truck was stone cold. It was around 12 degrees when I went out. I didn't know the GF plug had popped again, so I just hopped in and cranked her over a few times. After about 3 sec, I stopped, and hit the GP for 6 or 8 sec. Then cranked on her for about 4 sec before she fired. She ran real rough for the first few sec, but then once all 8 cyl were fireing, she smoothed right out. I haven't checked, but I know I have at least one GP out, and probably 2 or 3 by the way the truck started smoothing out. I'm pretty confident that the truck will start pretty good well below zero now.

Mark

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Might check to see if your block heater cord doesn't have losts of resistance. Also Orelly's here in terre haute has 4 motorcraft plugs in stock. (I took the other four this morning. $11.49+ tax)

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just being lazy. I'm afraid that I'm going to break one off actually. I hope to get the fuel system redone this spring, so I'm holding off on the GP so that I can do it all in one swipe.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know at what temperature my truck will give me the finger. We've been in the mid 20's here in North Fla. the past few nights and I haven't had any starting issues. I'll be in Vermont in two weeks, so I'll let you know...

ohiozj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was around 17 this morning. in the cincinnati area. i dont think my block heater is working, i plugged it in the other day and in the morning the truck was just as hard to start as when it wasnt plugged in.

anyway, this morning after 3 gp cycles it started on the 2nd try. not plugged in. i guess thats pretty good??? i dont know.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
8 secs glow plugs, crank 5-8 seconds till sputter. nother 5 on gp and fire up. cranky, but will fire. rocks the truck for a few seconds till she smooths out.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Let me reiterate this. Not trying to brag my truck up here.

An IDI should start like this to at least single digits if not lower. Good batteries, good starter, good glow plugs. This was a 8-9 second glow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrfftNsl5dI&feature=related

If you have good plugs, starter, and batteries (along with cables), thats how all IDI's should start, if not faster.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have good plugs, starter, and batteries (along with cables), thats how all IDI's should start, if not faster.

And compression :D. Some of you guys might consider 5w-40 in the cold months to faster turning :dunno

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really need to get my starter switched. Mine won't start as fast as Justins did in the video even when it's 90 degrees out.

With temps below 20 lately, it just barely turns when I try to start it, then it gradually speeds up and starts.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot, but once achieved, they should start great when cold out.

You got aftermarket wiring or the stock stuff? Seems like I might need more or just need to clean the grounds :dunno the driver side batt doesnt do as much work although after everything the voltage drop is alot lower iirc .5 or less. I know some like to use bigger wiring though and the starter wire is pretty small :eek:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You got aftermarket wiring or the stock stuff? Seems like I might need more or just need to clean the grounds :dunno the driver side batt doesnt do as much work although after everything the voltage drop is alot lower iirc .5 or less. I know some like to use bigger wiring though and the starter wire is pretty small :eek:

Everything is stock on my truck as far as wiring goes, except glow plugs are on a momentary on toggle switch, and so is the starter (the key will not engage the starter, but turns all accessories on).

My batteries are only 770cca a piece and battery cables are stock.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Let me reiterate this. Not trying to brag my truck up here.

An IDI should start like this to at least single digits if not lower. Good batteries, good starter, good glow plugs. This was a 8-9 second glow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrfftNsl5dI&feature=related

I use to have one that started exactly the same, still dont know why i sold it

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.9 has never not started, just below about -10F or so, if you forgot to plug it in, you had to do everything right and you only had one shot at starting it, so I'd skip the glows and use ether, but, I only run a single Group 31 battery, the truck doesn't even have a drivers side batt tray installed.
18F, last winter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd3ntH5axD8
Not plugged in.
24F, winter before last:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKFz8v3BHoI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Again, not plugged in.
This one, well, it's pretty self explanitory...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cvAyisrVWw&feature=fvw

All the above videos are with a new starter, lots-o-timing, the last with new cables(I stayed with the stock 3/0 size pass battery to starter) electric lift pump, wellman dual coil plugs, and probably most importantly, 0W40 full synthetic oil. My 6.9 is quite healthy compression wise, even on a -25 day, if it has ran long enough to get the temperature guage moving, you've got a good 4 hour window where it will easily start without the glows.

This is from 2005 when I first put the truck together, and it actually had a working glow controller... LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlbiuFPwEAo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

The temperatures some of you guys are worried about are an every day thing for me.
We are supposed to get -18 and -20F lows Sunday and Monday, I may have to plug in the PSD...
My old 00 started colder, but, I never, ever want to do that again...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4i6BIN_dHg&list=ULUSCsyy4a6XM&playnext=2
-38C, -36F, not plugged in...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online