coating frame??

1992-6.9

Reaction score
I have a LOT of extra asphalt coating sitting around, can't remember what from cookoo But anyways, I was wondering if i could re-coat my truck's frame with that stuff. what do they use from the factory? It has a light, and i mean light coat of surface rust on it. Can i just spray over that junk?? Thanks! P.S. Anyone know of a cheap but good way to bend metal tubing? I and making a grille guard but can't afford the pro's tubing bender....

Last edited:

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
You just need to activate the Ford undercarriage lubrication system!!!!1 It will keep you rust free and cycle bad old oil out and you can top off with new :)

1992-6.9

Reaction score
And how would I go abouts doing that? Can't seem to find the darnded activation switch. I already got the front one activated, courtesy of my oil leak. Taken care of though.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
are you wanting to bend pipe or tubing it makes a difference you can get a pipe bender for up to 2" for around $70-$80

1992-6.9

Reaction score
I want to bend round tubing or pipe. whatever is easier to bend and work with. As for the POR-15 what is the coverage?? I assume I wouldn't need to topcoat as the frame is below where the sun hits... What can i use to get theold asphalt coating or whatever it is off the frame?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harbor freight has 12 and 14 ton benders that say they can handle up to 3" pipe for around $90. I have the 12 ton bender and so far it has worked well for tubing and exhaust.

-Rob

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I have the 16 ton bender that will bend up to 3" pipe most prices are $169 for the 16 ton I haven't bent any tube in it yet they say they won't bend tube cause it tends to smash it

1992-6.9

Reaction score
Trying to bend to thin of wall tubing would cause collapsing?? Or just in general... I need some tight radius bends... How do i get rid of old tar coating on the frame...there is still some on the inner rails... I will order some of that POR-15 stuff...as soon as i repaint the truck... Looks pretty bad....

sassyrel

Reaction score
so guys--know how to keep the tubing from smashing--fill it full of fine sand--and cap the ends loosely--try it---

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yes its cause of the thin wall and the style of the bender it bends the pipe by pushing in the middle between 2 rollers if you have tight radius bends you will need a tubing bender these pipe benders have a max of 90 degs