Clutch

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My clutch is starting to go in my 1985 and does anybody have any suggestions on what to get, id like to get a heavy duty one

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
South Bend Clutch has a 12 inch clutch that I've used for over two years with good results.

Heath

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what does it take to put a 12" clutch in, hesutton are you satisfied with the 12 inch kevlar clutch

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no need to change the flywheel. Just have it resurfaced as you would with any new clutch install. The 12 inch will bolt directly to you stock IDI flywhell.

I replaced the stock 11 inch with the 12 inch Kevlar/Metalic because I was getting too much slip at power with the stocker. I've never had this clutch to slip. It grabs and goes. The only thing I would change would be a different TOB. I'd find one with a grease zerk.

Here's a photo of it on the flywheel.
You must be registered for see images

Heath

FordGuy100

Reaction score
How hard does it grab? I'm on the prowl for a new clutch....and I would like to keep it an option.

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just bought this clutch kit from southbend. Im not sure if it is a 12inch or not...how can i tell?

i received the clutch a couple days ago and ive got a 3 day weekend this weekend so im going to start installing it tomorrow. I cant wait to get rid of my old DMF and see how well this SMF will hold up.

http://www.southbendclutch.com/1944325di.html

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The Kevlar lining is some really great stuff. It pulls heavier loads without requiring heavier clamping pressure because it has better friction qualities, but unlike ceramic it doesnt grab and chatter. the Kevlar is very smooth engaging and much stronger.
Ceramic is great stuff for heavy loads and high heat dissapation, but it is extremely unforgiving as to being heavily slipped or when folks try to do a lot of burn outs etc, the ceramic will come apart. If used in a civilized manner ceramic is great for heavy pulling and will last years.
Organic linings are fine for lighter duty applications, they just won't last as long in a truck if you tow anything.

For whatever you get, spend the extra $30 and get the Kevlar pilot bushing and get rid of the pilot bearing, you will be glad you did.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been giving the wrong info about needing to swap the flywheels? Mea culpa. Just repeating what I've read here and elsewhere. How can a 12" clutch work on a flywheel designed for the 11" clutch?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've been giving the wrong info about needing to swap the flywheels? Mea culpa. Just repeating what I've read here and elsewhere. How can a 12" clutch work on a flywheel designed for the 11" clutch?

The pressure plate is a bit larger than the clutch disk. The size is that of the disk. The pressure plate size doesn't change and this is the part that bolts to the flywheel. There simply is enough room to use a 12 inch disk inside the pressure plate without needing to increase its diameter.

The clutch drives well and holds great. It doesn't slip as easily from a stop, but it's not bad at all, but it was something I noticed. I'd rather have that issue than a slipping clutch.

I don't remember the cost, but I think I paid about $400-$450 or something like that.:dunno I guess that's on the South Bend website somewhere.

Heath