Clutch Woes and Centerforce

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Time to do some work on my clutch. With almost 250K on it, it's time to replace some components. I haven't decided on a game plan yet, but I've been collecting some part numbers/pricing. After several phone calls over the course of the last two days with Centerforce and 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers, the local distributor, I got some part numbers and prices. The single mass flywheel/clutch combo pictured on page 32 of the April issue of Diesel Power Mag is the only product Centerforce makes for the F250/350 dual mass/7.3 IDI. They haven't sold any yet. The part number is DF305827 and retails for $1250 through 4 Wheel Parts, who guarantees the lowest price. Add to that $94 for the TO bearing, part number N1753. I told the salesman he wouldn't be selling many at that price since there are several suppliers that offer products for nearly half that! Interestingly, Centerforce offers a clutch set (no flywheel) for the F450 PN DF065404, not sure what the difference is other than maybe flywheel size.

On a different note, I stopped in Napa to get a price on the master cylinder/ slave cylinder combo that someone on this forum was referring to (don't remember where I read it). He had no listing for the complete setup in the $110 price range. Anyone know the part number? The closest he had came in at $224 which is twice what the two cylinders cost separately.

Also while at Napa, I had him look up clutches. I was surprised to see that Napa offers a single mass/clutch conversion kit as well. Price was $519 which I thought was pretty reasonable. Anyone tried one before? It's new not rebuilt and made by Napa's supplier. He pulled a like one for a different application off the shelf for me to look at and the clutch was made by Valeo. I've heard of them before, but never used one. What's the word on their quality?

Tom

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
valeo and LUk are together my brother ordered a LUK for his PSD and when we opened up the box it was a valeo his has worked good so far

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
valeo and LUk are together my brother ordered a LUK for his PSD and when we opened up the box it was a valeo his has worked good so far

That's very good info to know since LUK was my first option! ;Sweet

Tom

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gee, I can save you a ton of money by doing my flywheel mod. Price = New clutch disk, 6 #8 bolts and lock nuts and some time.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
LUCKY_LARUE60 said:
Gee, I can save you a ton of money by doing my flywheel mod. Price = New clutch disk, 6 #8 bolts and lock nuts and some time.

I already have your procedure printed out. :Sly I was considering all options. I still haven't determined if this is a clutch problem or hydraulic problem. Or if I'm just going to change all of it due to age. :D

Tom

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
LUCKY_LARUE60 said:

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of that modification for future reference , would you???

----------Robert

obinella

Reaction score
tom- hears a $.02er for ya. my personal preference(if money is not an over riding issue)is to replace the dual mass with a new one piece flywheel if only to eliminate all the extra junk whirling around on the end of the crank. a one piece wheel would,( in my way of thinking) be a better balanced unit with less chance of stuff coming loose from vibration and shock loading. i am not knocking the mod,just my preference. also some where i saw a clutch disk that has two rows of damper springs, one in the usual position and a staggered outer row. this is the one i intend to put in mine as i think it will help with the gear roll over problem. sorry i don't remember the manufacture. i think it was in diesel power mag.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
obinella said:
tom- hears a $.02er for ya. my personal preference(if money is not an over riding issue)is to replace the dual mass with a new one piece flywheel if only to eliminate all the extra junk whirling around on the end of the crank. a one piece wheel would,( in my way of thinking) be a better balanced unit with less chance of stuff coming loose from vibration and shock loading. i am not knocking the mod,just my preference. also some where i saw a clutch disk that has two rows of damper springs, one in the usual position and a staggered outer row. this is the one i intend to put in mine as i think it will help with the gear roll over problem. sorry i don't remember the manufacture. i think it was in diesel power mag.

If you do my mod all that stuff insde the flywheel is gone and then it is a solid, you should read the write up on my mod.