clutch rattle

beaver55

Reaction score
I have a 1994 f-250- 7.3-turbo-5 speed, all factory ford, except for the clutch, witch I changed in the spring, the dual mass flywheel got a very bad shake, and since ford does not have them anymore,I was told by a tranny shop in Texas to go the old style that the 6.9 had. The clutch works perfect, but when I take off in any gear it has a loud rattle sound that goes away when it gets up to around 1100 rpm.i got the tranny pulled right apart, it was all OK I had new bearings and sincros put in while it was apart. I was told since I went after market, the clutch springs rattle. and yes it is a lot louder then it was with the dual mass, any ideas

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can expect it to be a little louder than before, because the main purpose of the dual mass flywheel is to prevent this noise. I have one question though, did you go back with the solid center clutch disc or did you use the F450 type disc that has a sprung center hub? If you used a stock type clutch, you are going to get a lot more noise than you should with the smf.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after I swapped out the DMF for a SMF, there was a lot of gear noise, more of a vibration really. I read on here about running a thicker oil. I think that either a 30w ATF or 30w motor oil is the most recomended substitute. I went with the 30w non-detergent motor oil, and overfilled it to 3 gallons. The noise has all but gone away, very satisfied..

beaver55

Reaction score
You can expect it to be a little louder than before, because the main purpose of the dual mass flywheel is to prevent this noise. I have one question though, did you go back with the solid center clutch disc or did you use the F450 type disc that has a sprung center hub? If you used a stock type clutch, you are going to get a lot more noise than you should with the smf.

Yes i went back to the solid center clutch

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
That sounds like the problem, when you get the SMF you are supposed to use a clutch with a sprung center. If you look on rockauto.com they have the SMF clutch kits. I have also heard ford carries a kit.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You need to get ahold of a sprung center clutch disc and swap it out for the solid one you put in there. If I read your post right, you currently have your transmission out, so it would be a good time to put the correct clutch disc back in. You have to have some type of dampening device in there, whether it be springs in the dual mass flywheel or the springs in the center hub of a sprung clutch disc.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you want to get a REAL nice clutch and don't want to spend a fortune, call ft wayne clutch and you can get a rebuilt kevlar clutch for the thing with the sprung center on the disc. That kevlar lining will outlast an organic lining by many , many times and it won't eat up your flywheel like other high end linings. Other nice benefit is it has seriously more grab so it does not require a heavily sprung pressure plate so the kit is easy on the left leg, and best part, price, since it's a rebuilt, cost is less than most new organic clutches ;Sweet

While you have the thing apart, if you didn't do it before, now is a good time to ditch the pilot bearing and install a kevlar pilot bushing as well. No needle bearings to dry up and lock up and cause problems down the line. $30 well spent.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One vote for the kevlar pilot bushing, I've had mine in for about a year now and I have very little clutch effort even with a mechanical non factory redneck clutch system and an ancient T18 granny tranny.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726