Clutch question.. not slipping but wont hold sitting still?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other truck doesn't have a 460... It has a zf5 from a 460 which has a much lower first gear.
I caught that it had an IDI, but missed that it had a wide-range ZF5. That would explain it - otherwise, the 3.55 ratio should make it /worse/, as there's more wheel turn per driveline rotation. But the lower first gear compensates for that - from a final drive ratio of 16.97 on the 4.10/close-ratio to 20.31 on the 3.55/wide-ratio truck.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said...mark the clutch assembly

$$'s to dohnuts its engine not clutch

Going to in the morning when I get to work. If that is the case, I'm not worried about it at all. The parking brake will be fixed soon when I swap my new rearend into the truck.. however the sound it makes when it moves certainly makes it sound like the clutch is slipping and I never really thought to check it to see if that was actually what was happening.

I'll post back up in the morning either way.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Also, don't put it in a gear that will roll the engine backwards. Not as much compression that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, don't put it in a gear that will roll the engine backwards. Not as much compression that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Probably the reason it says to lock the trans in reverse on the visor instead of 1st.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The solution? Fix your [strike]E-[/strike] PARKING brake, or install a driveline brake.
Fixed. And yes, that's THE solution. The OP's experience is exactly why it's called a parking brake.

(Says the guy who... ah... errr... still hasn't installed his new cables in his '85......)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle