Clutch Firewall Re-enforcement plate installation

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Howdy everyone.

Since I stripped down my new cab, I installed my clutch firewall plate witch I bought off Jason at the IDI weekend. Thanks again man!

Started be trying it out, and already was a VERY close fit, only had to bend it slightly and hit the firewall on the side just a lil bit with the hammer, and perfect fit :D

To hold it in place, used the 2 holes for the clutch master.
You must be registered for see images attach

Just used 2 bolts I found

Next found 4 bolts in the glove box witch I think are from the steering column witch the scrap yard removed and stuck 'em in the holes around the column hole. And with the plate held in place, drilled the holes.

Outside view of holes

Cowl

And installed

Note: in this pic, i'm sure Jason will notice the nut plate is on the wrong side, I have noticed that after taking the pics and I have flipped it over. The off set was made to clear the molding of the firewall.

(I did not seal it with anything yet as i'm gonna remove it again, the cab has to go for complete sand blasting/primer) when it comes back, then i'm gonna install it and seal it.

The finished product :D

Total installation time took about 15 min. Having no glass on the cab and stripped naked sure helps :D

I just finish looking at Mel's write up on this (excellent write up btw!) and sure am glad I did this now since the cab is naked, was so easy.

Hats off to Jason for the great craftsmanship of his product! ;Sweet

Last edited:

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I was kicking myself a little bit for putting my manual pedals in tonight without first ordering Jason's magnificent piece. Its on the wish list.

Great write up!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice pics I see you had it even easier than I did when I did mine, good info.

Yes Jason's craftsmanship makes installing that plate even simpler than the TSB says, it's just a little bend and hammer that I needed too!

Yes it is much simpler when you DO NOT have to deal with the dash and everything else like I did, having no clip on the truck and no engine in made it much simpler...thanks BTW for the compliment on my tech write up!:D I did more here and you may or may not want to review this one I posted on full size Bronco.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186116

IT has a more detailed finish to it...I ended up using adhesive between the plate and the firewall to really make it one with the cab.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice job John. It certainly looks to be an easier job with just a naked cab.LOL I need to massage the plate a bit to fit perfectly, not big deal, these cab are close, but not identicle.

Nice photos.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Very good pictures and writeup for a great product. This is why these trucks stay alive and on the road. Members thinking all the time how to make them better than Ford did...;Sweet:sly

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
thanks for the great pics! It was a pleasure meeting you guys at the rally. that nut plate shouldn't matter right or left. any biased is purely accidental. i need to make a new jig for welding on the nuts.

the tape is nothing more then blue painters tape to keep the parts from sticking together. i would recommend using some RTV or some sort of sealer as well.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Dash has to go back on tomorrow, like I said I can pull the dash in no time so it's not a big deal right now. There are only like a dozen bolts and screws to remove, nothing if you have a screw gun or something of the sort.