Chip question..........

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
DON'T SHOOT guys LOL I know I'm in dark waters :D

My neighbor just "retired" a '02 duramax from his construction fleet and gave it to his son who has no knowledge of diesels {he's 43} :eek: and not a hot rod type.

Clean as a pin, 100k mi, serviced reg

My question is, for just towing and fuel economy....what chips are out there
and how do I find his program code--are there as many like the PSD?

That duramax sure is quiet :D altho does have an injector tic....mebee my ears are not tuned to that alloy head LOL

Nothing wild, as that is not his game.

:cheers:
GEO

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Edge makes a controlled chip for the Duramax, adjustable in case you want to get wild too.

Max Power

Reaction score
Lots of options. Edge w/attitude is nice and can be had at a good price especially used.

Or you could go with the TTS extreme for an instant 500 RWHP. :D

The tick isn't an injector tick. It is common on all Duramax's and is nothing to worry about. Sometimes different oils can make it worse or better. Try synthetic Mobil 1. It seems to get rid of it totally for a lot of people. GM oil seems to be about the worst.

Lots of times you will get the tick after you change the oil and it will go away after a few miles. It is something to do with air bubbles in the oil.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Thanx fer the oil tip! How do those duramaxs run with Rotella 15-40 dino?

Used is the way he wants to go, he's a pretty frugal guy!
I need to get him to at least open up the air and exhaust! :Sly

His dad has an '04 CCDRW that just last week got a Monster 5" exh, EDGE EVO package :D

I got to drive it in all levels..stock/economy/tow/race/extreme and just by the "ol butt-o meter" LOL my '96 feels better and sounds MUCH sweeter :D

Of course I'm used to rowing gears ;Sweet

NOT trashing the Duramax/Allison package by any means,just kind of a let down.

Max Power

Reaction score
Actually the intake and exhaust is more then enough to run a 100hp tune. You can run 500hp on a stock intake and exhaust without problems.

If he has the comp juice/attitude it will lay down probably 450hp but at that point a transmission upgrade is definately required.

Don't kid yourself, Duramax's can be made to go very fast very easily.

Transmission upgrade and a $1200 TTS extreme and it will run low 13's high 12's.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Max Power said:
Actually the intake and exhaust is more then enough to run a 100hp tune. You can run 500hp on a stock intake and exhaust without problems.

If he has the comp juice/attitude it will lay down probably 450hp but at that point a transmission upgrade is definately required.

Don't kid yourself, Duramax's can be made to go very fast very easily.

Transmission upgrade and a $1200 TTS extreme and it will run low 13's high 12's.

The 100 hp step is right up his alley :D
NOW just what chips/programs are out there....he kinda amped at the $1200 TTS and tranny upgrade.

I'm quite aware of what those Duramax's can dish out.......got my *** handed to me at the last sled pull :draw :mad:

Thanx:cheers:
GEO