Chinese import starters?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Okay, my starter is fried. I even jumped from the positive cable to the strap that goes from the starter motor to the solonoid, and nothing.
I was looking around on ebay, I'm bidding on a used starter, but if I don't win, I see a ton of starters for 80-90 bucks, but they're all chinese imports.
Are these a waste of money?

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Auto Zone starter for mine when it went a year ago and it has worked great since it was installed. If I rember right it was 129.99 and has a lifetime warranty. I know alot of the guys on this board will bash auto zone stuff but I have used pretty much all their parts such as belts, hoses, seals, gaskets, and I have rarley have a problem and when I do they are always awsome at warranty swaps.

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard that there are straight drive starters and gear-reduction starters, and both of my trucks have gear reduction starters now. It's definitely worth the money to get the gear-reduction starter, other than that, I've got no opinion.

I've used the Autozone stuff too, and have yet to have a problem as well.

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
you can't beat lifetime warrenties from autozone i use their parts on everything i have had at least a 100 replacement brakes over the years

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have an autozone starter. however one day i walked in to have mine tested and the guy (who i know is a diesel guy) said its way better to take it to a shop and have it rebuilt than to buy one from them

82fordtruck

Reaction score
It depends how you fried it.

You need to pull it apart. If it's the brushes - get those at NAPA. Couldn't find the drive end bushing - 22mm ID, 27 mm OD if I remember right. Made one from a piece of brass. If it's the commutator, a lot of times they can be put in a lathe and cleaned and work again. The rotor will be a replacement type item. You can get the solenoid at NAPA. The bendix unit NAPA has.

This cost me as much asa cheap one, but it sure as hell won't have trouble again. For the new owner. Crap!

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Mine fried because the solonoid locked on, and ran away. by the time I got the hood opened, and the batteries disconnected, the solonoid was on fire.
The starter I have on there now isn't a ford part, it's an international harvester part.