Changing Fluid in my Dana 50 TTB (IFS)

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys...I went to change my gear oil in my front axle. It is a Dana 50 TTB (IFS). How do I drain it?

Do I use a suction gun or drill a half inch hole and tap it for a plug? I can't seem to find a drain plug...only a fill plug..

Thanks

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys...I went to change my gear oil in my front axle. It is a Dana 50 TTB (IFS). How do I drain it?

Do I use a suction gun or drill a half inch hole and tap it for a plug? I can't seem to find a drain plug...only a fill plug..

Thanks

You ANSWERED your own question...

NO drain plug...

Suck it out

Drill out a hole tap it and then plug it..

remove axles completely and then unbolt it...have it pour out then while out drill tap clean it all out

Assemble and install new seals and ujoints for good measure...

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the "pump it out" "suck it out" it's not that bad to do. It's the quickest and easiest.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I decided not to drill...I bought a nice little gear oil vacuum pump from Northern Tool last night...Check it out...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200475124_200475124 It is inexpensive, but it will work!:sly

Lock your hubs in...leave truck in 2WD on transfer case...drive a good long ways...heats up oil in front diff...won't hurt anything in transfer case cause your in 2wd...

When you get home....pop the plug and drain away...warm gear oil is so much easier to draw out than cold gear oil IMHO

As for that suckeroutterthingamajiggy I don't know if that tubing can pass thick gear oil even if warm.

JM2CW

Al

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warming thr gear oil

Lock your hubs in...leave truck in 2WD on transfer case...drive a good long ways...heats up oil in front diff...won't hurt anything in transfer case cause your in 2wd...

When you get home....pop the plug and drain away...warm gear oil is so much easier to draw out than cold gear oil IMHO

As for that suckeroutterthingamajiggy I don't know if that tubing can pass thick gear oil even if warm.

JM2CW

Al

Thanks for the tip on warming the gear oil...As far as the "suckeroutterthingamajiggy" goes...It should work, but if it don't I will figure out a way to make it work...If I can't I will either "drop kick" it back to Northern Tool and get my Ten Bucks Back! LOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on warming the gear oil...As far as the "suckeroutterthingamajiggy" goes...It should work, but if it don't I will figure out a way to make it work...If I can't I will either "drop kick" it back to Northern Tool and get my Ten Bucks Back! LOL

Other option....getter good n warm...come home putsmall camp stove under diff...getter good n hot...thin oil out....naw...don't do that...was total joke..tongue in cheek!

Ya I tend to like the more HD suckeroutterthingamajiggies....this is one I have ooodles of experience with, as it's what I used to suck out lots of transmissions tcases, some diffs and so forth processing vehicles for crush....they have a pneumatic version too...
You must be registered for see images

This bad boy here...is on my Christmas wish list...total suckeroutterthingamajiggydohickypumperbackintoo LOL

You must be registered for see images

Then I do a tad more n just the occasional diff ....so I'd like to use this ....can even be used to bleed brakes if you ad an optional kit...hell ya I will! all four bleed screws at once...hmmm..stand and fill master....ya