Champion radiator arrived today.

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Installed one of those in my truck also. I used fiber washers between rad brackets and steel mounting hardware to prevent corrosion. I also chucked the petcock and installed a ball valve and barb fitting. I secured the ball valve handle with a wore tie so it could not come loose. Now if I need to drain I slip a piece of clear tubing over barb fitting and drain into a 5 gal. bucket. Much easier and neater that way. Parts cost about 12 bucks to add the valve.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also chucked the petcock and installed a ball valve and barb fitting. I secured the ball valve handle with a wore tie so it could not come loose. Now if I need to drain I slip a piece of clear tubing over barb fitting and drain into a 5 gal. bucket. Much easier and neater that way. Parts cost about 12 bucks to add the valve.

I was thinking of doing the same thing after i just contaminated 8 gallons of brand new coolant with oil and dirt draining my old radiator.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed one of those in my truck also. I used fiber washers between rad brackets and steel mounting hardware to prevent corrosion. I also chucked the petcock and installed a ball valve and barb fitting. I secured the ball valve handle with a wore tie so it could not come loose. Now if I need to drain I slip a piece of clear tubing over barb fitting and drain into a 5 gal. bucket. Much easier and neater that way. Parts cost about 12 bucks to add the valve.

Damn good idea...think I'll be doing this mod ASAP, I'm swapping out coolant and regular water soon enough for deionized water and coolant...ya this is a damn fine idea actually!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We have the choice to install a pet **** valve on the radiater drains that has a nipple as pert of it. Thats where you can slip some rubber hose so the coolant drains cleanly into a bucket. Find them in the help sections

lilredtdi

Reaction score
What is this business about running a 13LB cap? I bought the stock cap the truck came with that was 16LBs. Is this just a precaution in caqse it overheats it will not warp a head???

FYI= Thanks to this forum I learned about the coolant additive. Popped into Ford yesterday and bought two bottles. Should I add one or both? I do not have the PH test kit. Yet!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert