Centrifuge & Foaming wmo

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to throw this one out there and see what you guys think.
My wmo mixes are wmo & diesel fuel, usually about 50-60% wmo. Since the weather has warmed up it seems like this mixture gets its pretty thin.
I'm using a old PS pump to push the wmo through the CF, before that I run it through a 10mic, water filter, 1 mic setup. Let the filters mix everthing for about 15-20 minutes. Then run it through the CF for 30 minutes.
Is it normal for the CF to foam up the wmo?
Sometimes if I fill my barrel to full, the wmo backs up through the "fill neck" and I can see it before it overflows.
It only does this when I'm using the CF, the filters usually don't "foam" it.
Thanks all.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I've not had my Fuge ever foam the fuel up. More than likely it's actually your pump that is causing the foam and you dont notice it as the filters more or less hide the foam. ICBW but I'm wondering if you have an unknown liquid in your fuel, OR you have a water issue.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like you said I think it could be the old PS pump. I'll try to get some pics. My wmo basically dumps into the top of the pump.
Haven't had problems with my stock filter on the pickup catching any water.
Is it possible for water to mix together with the oil and the stock filter not catch it.
I should try some wmo from a different barrel and see what happens.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Think you could possibly be picking air up on the suction side of the pump. My power steering pump does not foam up the oil.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the pump I'm using. The cap is off and wmo is flowing in the top. On the pressure side I've got a 3/8 brake line up to the CF.
The pipe coming is 3/4 pipe. The old return line is capped & clamped.

Attachments

• A1208715.jpg
    A1208715.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 53

kerrynzl

Reaction score
Try slowing down your pump speed a bit, you'll find the pump has the relief valve open all the time.
On a power steer pump [ rotary vane type ] when the relief valve opens it recirculates the oil internally [ instead of dumping it back to the reservoir ] that where it will be frothing from

I had the same problem on my race car because it was revving too high [ pulleys fixed it ]

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
The relief valve should not be opening at 80 psi, these pump can pit put 1500 or so psi no problem. Overspeeding could be a problem, my pump has a 1750 rpm motor on it and running probably half that after the pulleys.

If you want to try something else a pump out of a Chevy camaro from the mid 90's should bolt right in the place of your older GM pump. The difference is the camaro pump is an external resivor so it just has a 5/8 line in and the pressure line out. No tank to worry about.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it could be that you have some solvent in your oil.my CF(gravity feed) never foams unless there is a decent amount of solvent in the oil like brake parts cleaner or purple power..

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pulley on pump is 4" dia. the motor pulley is 3" or 2.5". So the rpm of the pump could be a little fast??

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure its 1725 rpm, I think is pretty standard.(20+ plus year old motor)
I think the stock pulley, 5"-6" dia., might be the answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes