Cellulosic Ethanol

OutofOrder

Reaction score
How close are we to making this a realty on a large scale? Will switchgrass replace corn as our primary source for ethanol anytime soon? Is this part of the cure for our oil woes, or just a smokescreen by a bunch of environmentalists?

Skidmark

Reaction score
i don't know much of anything about ethanol, but i read an article today about how there is a surplus of ethanol due to overproduction and a reduced interest in using it for fuel. apparently, too many people wanted to cash in on the craze and built production facilities, but the demand did keep up with the supply. my thinking is that fluctuations in the market are to be expected and that ethanol use will continue to rise. maybe the surplus will lower ethanol prices which will then generate more interest in purchasing ethanol?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to learn how to make biodiesel from ethanol. One guy here is working on making ethanol from sweet potatoes of all things. I do agree the switchgrass would be better than corn...mainly because it doesn't effect food production at least directly. Maybe ethyl esters from non corn ethanol would be a worthy project for my non thesis masters project at UF in AOM?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online