Cavitation issue?

Fordfarmer123

Reaction score
I replaced my oil cooler and now have coolant in my oil? I don’t have oil in my coolant however. I’m pulling the motor is there anyway I can check for cavitation issues with the motor out. And should I just replace the head gasket while I have the motor out how hard is a job is it ?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The best way is to install block off plates and pressurize the cooling system. These are just small pinholes in a cylinder wall and can be very hard, if not impossible, to see with the naked eye.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything was ok until you replaced the oil cooler? I think this is a sign. Coincidences happen, but not very often.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it didn't happen until after you did the oil cooler I'd pull it back off and look for a bad gasket or cut o-ring.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it didn't happen until after you did the oil cooler I'd pull it back off and look for a bad gasket or cut o-ring.

^^^^^^^^ yep. It's really easy to cut the o-rings or mate the headers in a way that the gasket won't seal up tight. I would definitely pull the oil cooler and do that again, before jumping to pressure testing the engine block.

Also, while you got the oil cooler off, check to make sure your new cooler doesn't have a leak. It could happen. Here's my way of verifying: http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/engine/diy-7-3-idi-or-powerstroke-oil-cooler-pressure-tester/

Also, here's a vid showing how to seat the o-rings without cutting them. http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/engine/6-9-and-7-3-idi-oil-cooler-repair/ It shouldn't be forced in any way otherwise it'll cut the o-rings and cause crosscontamination.