Carrier fuel pump help needed.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
THose are Carrier part numbers.
Just call Facet 607-737-8011 They are very helpful on the phone, I've called them a few times, earlier on in this string, someone already posted the facet number for the screen. If you call the factory, they should be able to help you in getting a replacement.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Clogged up with algae slime is putting it quite mildly. That stuff is a cross between gorilla snot and crazy glue. I haven't found anything which will cut it, clean the screen. If anyone has suggestions I'd really like to hear them.

I ran the filter unit for 3-4 hours, filtering both tanks on my truck. I cleaned the screen a couple times as best I could, but finally admitted defeat. That algae is some nasty stuff.

Power Service Diesel Kleen will clean out this algae. It was the only thing that worked for me, and I tried lots of biocides and cleaners. Be careful using it full strength, because it will dissolve some plastics. I diluted it with clean diesel when needed.

this thread might help..;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?p=497552&posted=1#post497552

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
If you ever managed to puncture a screen somehow, I noticed that most farm stores seem to have a screen that is similar if not identical. It measures out the same, it just may not be the same micron screen, but it would work in a jam.

Those screens are real easy to clean on the side of the road with a can of spray brake parts cleaner, just shoot it down from the inside blowing out and it will clear very quickly, even if you have critters in your tank. That's one of the joys of those pumps is being able to see when it needs cleaning and being able to mount it where it's easy to get to without having to crawl around on your back ;Sweet

I spent a few weeks fighting this strain of algae. Brake cleaner won't do anything to it. Even M.E.K. (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), the strongest cleaner I can legally obtain, wouldn't dissolve it, and that stuff eats most plastics and rubber.

The description of "a cross between gorilla snot and crazy glue", was right on. It is like contact cement.

Gandalf. Your diagnosis is correct. You have killed the algae. Now you have to dispose of the millions of dead bodies. Diesel Kleen was $25/bottle. I found it was more economical to replace some fuel system components than trying to clean them.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I spent a few weeks fighting this strain of algae. Brake cleaner won't do anything to it. Even M.E.K. (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), the strongest cleaner I can legally obtain, wouldn't dissolve it, and that stuff eats most plastics and rubber.

The description of "a cross between gorilla snot and crazy glue", was right on. It is like contact cement.

Gandalf. Your diagnosis is correct. You have killed the algae. Now you have to dispose of the millions of dead bodies. Diesel Kleen was $25/bottle. I found it was more economical to replace some fuel system components than trying to clean them.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's the critters or the cleaner you used in their demise that is causing the total jam up. I've had a nasty case of critters before and used Kill-em and had no problem cleaning the screen, but upon thinking about it, I've used diesel Kleen before and screwed up a number of fuel system parts in the process :dunno Little wonder that my pump shop recomends and sells Kill-em

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if it's the critters or the cleaner you used in their demise that is causing the total jam up. I've had a nasty case of critters before and used Kill-em and had no problem cleaning the screen, but upon thinking about it, I've used diesel Kleen before and screwed up a number of fuel system parts in the process :dunno Little wonder that my pump shop recomends and sells Kill-em

In my case, I know for certain the Diesel Kleen did not turn the algae into glue. It was a sticky mess when first found, and the DK was at least the 5th product I tried to remove it.

Th DK DID dissolve it to the point, that what looked like very clean fuel, still had algae in it. And when this fuel sat in the injectors for one night, it locked them up like superglue.

I have not tried Kill-em. Maybe next time.:frustrate

gandalf

Reaction score
I've found the replacement filter screens, at long last.;Sweet

They are made by Facet. The part number for a Carrier branded screen is 42353. The part number for the 'generic' replacement is 42353N. It's an 80 micron filter, apparently designed to keep the larger crap out of the system. I'd certainly suggest running an additional filter with a much finer rating.

I called Facet, somewhere in upstate NY, and got the information. The young lady was then kind enough to search their computer to find which resellers had ordered this filter. It was fairly easy from that point. ;p

I ordered mine from J&N Auto Electric in Cincinnati. They're not cheap--$22.69 each. By the time I finally found them I was about ready to pay that price.:eek:

The initial lead was earlier in this thread. Somebody gave the Carrier part number as a possibility. However, Carrier said it was no longer available.

This is good progress.

Tarantula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you just run the screen through an automatic dishwasher? I bet it would get the crap out because it is biological in nature.
Just a thought

gandalf

Reaction score
Couldn't you just run the screen through an automatic dishwasher? I bet it would get the crap out because it is biological in nature.
Just a thought

I suggested something like that to my wife, and she said something that left no doubt what she thought of the idea.
You must be registered for see images attach

I went on to plan B.:rolleyes:

gandalf

Reaction score
I bet that filter would come clean if you used a propane torch to turn that gunk into ashes.

It's got a rubber ring type cushion seal at each end. I bet they wouldn't survive the torch. The screen filter is metal of some sort, but pretty thin. It probably couldn't take too much direct heat, though I might be surprised on that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online