Can you put one of these engines in a P-30 step van?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
i have a P-30 step van that came with a GM 6.2 L and i am looking for a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI to put in it. Does anyone know if this is possible? It was an old postal truck with a TH-400 transmission. I am not sure whether there is some kind of adapter that would allow me to use this transmission or if i would need a ford trans. Reason i ask is because some of these vans have cummins 4BT engines with TH400's so maybe a 6.9 could also be used with it?
Any help greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Paul

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. where there's a will there's a way. A member here is swapping a 6.9 where a Chevy gasser used to live(454). Now the step vans may have either the GM bellhousing pattern or SAE#3. If they have SAE#3 you could bolt up any 6.9/7.3 from an IH application, or from a Ford, but for the Ford you'd have to get rid of the adapter plate. If it has the GM bolt pattern/bellhousing, you'd probably have to make or buy a special adapter...i don't know if one is made or not. Hopefully it has the SAE#3 which would make things easy for you....or maybe the GM diesel is the same as SAE#3 now that I think of it. Good luck..JD