Can you buy a block heater?

o5Superduty

Reaction score
I have a 2005 ford f250 lariat crew cab 4x4 blah blah, awesome truck! anyways i dont have a block heater.. i live in New hampshire and the temp can drp below freezing easily in the winter, can u buy a heater and have it put on? or what can be done short of selling the truck? haha

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a heater that goes into one of the freeze plugs from OReillys and installed that when my heater quit. Works well and was easy to install.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might already have the block heater.

Check THIS THREAD over at our sister site for some really good conversation concerning this very subject.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I thought all Ford diesels came with a block heater, it is just a matter as to if you have the cord and wiring to it or not.

Ak HDM

Reaction score
The '05's had the heater in the block, just no cord except in certain states. It screws into the block at the right rear above the starter. The cord is available at your Ford dealer or Navistar dealer. If you get it from Navistar, tell them it's for a VT 365 engine[ Navistar's designation.
Depending on how cold it may get, you may think about changing to 10/30 oil for the winter, or putting an oilpan heater on.the pan heater are a pad that is put on the bottom of the pan using hi-temp silicone.

jyoung

Reaction score
Yeah, pretty sure you have the block heater without a cord.
My 06' F250 Lariet had the block heater and when I noticed that the truck did not come with the cord I contacted the dealership and they gave me the cord for free but wanted $120 to install it.
Needless to say I installed it myself in less than a half an hour.
I hear that the purchase price for the cord is around $75
Hope this helps, Jeff

o5Superduty

Reaction score
yup thanks guys i actually do have a block heater just no cord. apparently all 2005+ fords come with it now.. just no cords unless you live in certain states where it comes standard. big help. located near starter you say?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Why the HELL did Ford remove them? Surely they couldn't be losing any money over them......

jyoung

Reaction score
It's not about what they will lose, it's what they would gain.
Figure this; The dealer quoted me a price of $120 to install it and $75 for the part, so there they just made $195 minus the mechanics pay for about a half an hour of work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance