camper shell

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is off topic but I figured some of you guys would know. I was at a farm 150 miles from home and the guy had a camper shell off of a 2000 F-250 with a 6.5 ft bed. I have a 2011 supercrew F-150 with a 6.5 ft bed. Does anyone know if it will fit so I won't be driving 150 miles. Eason

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure it will fit, but I would suggest some measurements you could ask for to verify.

I would have him measure:

The width from side to side of the bed rails at the front of the box

The width from side to side of the bed rails at the tailgate.

The length of the bed rail from the front of the box to the end of the box.

The reason for the measurements of the width between the bed rails, I know on the Second Gen Dodge trucks the 94 - 99 is, the bed actually tapers from the front to back to help with aerodynamics. So if you put a topper on one of these trucks say from an 80's Ford, the bed may stick out from under the front of the cap, but be tucked back in under the cap at the tail lights.

If the dimensions of his box are close to yours, the cap should work.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya got the same length, but, what is it? Just a shell or a camper slide in. The width between bed fenders would be the question for fit for a slide in, a slide in can and do hang over the bed rails.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Shell" would suggest that it's probably a topper, not a slide-in. A guy I know, who knows his truck accessories, told me that all the later Fords (after OBS) have had tapered side beds, similar to the Dodge as described above. So yeah, definitely front AND rear width measurement is in order. The angle/shape of the front wall of the topper is also a factor, since it's usually designed to match the rear wall/window of the cab. You'd have to visually compare the back of your F150 with a pic of an F250 of that era. IOW, it may mount okay on the bed rails, but the spacing between the topper and cab roof may look funky.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^ Regional English. I'd never heard it called a "topper" until we got to WI. In MI, it was always a "cap".

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep,

I grew up in Illinois and now live in Indiana and have always heard them called "toppers". Occasionally a truck cap or camper shell. Most of the time a topper........

A Slide in truck camper I've always heard them called a truck camper.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clarification. I've been caught to many times with miss information.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance