Calling all IDI owners.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Have you thought about having a talk with some of the big rebuilders that handle a lot of IDIs like Promar and see if they'd be interested in going in on the head gaskets? Most volume rebuilders are well aware of the benefits of MLS head gaskets for longevity. I would think you might be able to get an outfit or two like that interested in going in on the things.

If the things weren't too awful expensive and too far off in the future, I'd be interested while I have my engine out for freeze plugs. It doesn't need head gaskets, but a set of MLS gaskets would bring peace of mind.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had a look at a new head gasket from International lately? I'm wondering if they are still composition gaskets. some of the older European diesels that came from the factory with composition head gaskets, now get MLS head gaskets as replacements from the dealer, but still get composition head gaskets from all the aftermarket suppliers :dunno

Only downside to the things is some dirtwater USA machine shops either are unable or unwilling to get a proper finish on the heads and block for a MLS gasket to seal properly ( had a huge problem with that around here before i finally found somebody with a clue -cuss .

---------Robert

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I would also be in if you get everything worked out, I'm interested in making big (at least in IDI standards) numbers for sled pulling as some of you know.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously there is allot outside of the studs and head gaskets but not having them still leaves the IDI in the same old boat. Killers......High egts and low boost. Having these gaskets would allow more boost pressures, all the other parts that need to be used to accomplish this should be in the minds of the purchaser. I just want to get the gaskets available so these old motors could have more options. I also want to call Fel-pro as they also offer MIL gaskets. Cometic aren't the only guys in town, and even some small gasket company's can make these. I never had time to mess with duplicating my intercooler kit, but I will get to it. With parts like these some of these old trucks could be brought up to *****.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I also applaud your efforts and would support those products whole heartedly...when it came rebuild time. Unfortunately that time is not now so I can't afford the investment to help make this happen. However, if they become available in the future...I'm in.

Tom

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can they make a 6.9 gaskets also in the same run? That would ease your difficulty in finding prospective buyers.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but this is going to be a hard sell. It is a huge investment for a theoretical improvment over an off-the-self IDI head gasket. Without actually testing the Cometic gasket on this application, you just don't know if it will perform any better than a standard Felpro. Plus, when you look at the very few people who will actually spend the money/time for a turbo/fuel combination to actually run 20-30psi of boost and 350-400hp, this further limits the potential consumer base for these gaskets.

I'm honestly not trying to *** on the campfire, but these issuses are a big hurddle to getting this done. I too applaud what you are doing, but it is a daunting task. Best of luck and keep us informed.

Heath

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online