C6 Trans Question

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2WD C6 that I was going to scrap, if you want it you can have it, and then rebuild it, and not have to be down totally.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulling today it felt as if trans was slippiong just a little in 2nd only. I have 80K-90K on this rebuild. So here are my questions. I replaced the modulator because I thought it might be leaking. I adjusted it out to shift sooner because it was running almost to the govenor before shifting. Does this affect teh amount of pressure on the intermediate band *** therefore allowing it to possibly slip? BTW the 1-2 shift is very soft. Not the nice bang it once had.

When you installed the modulator, did you back off the band adjustment as you where installing it? Very important that that was done. Then readjust the intermediate band after installing. Tighten to 10 ft. lbs. then back off exactly 1-1/2 turns, tighten locknut to 35-40 ft. lbs. recommended to use new locknut.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yea I've done it. It's not that hard, but you do need some inexpensive special tools to do it easily. Adjusting the band and setting the VRV is a good option, but I would do it BY THE BOOK. Don't just start screwing around with it hoping for the best, especially with that band adjustment. Yes, the VRV will affect trans slippage, as will the modulator on the trans.

Do We have an article for this :angel: I've seen the e4od and I would rather send it to a shop but the c6 sounds like a good candidate for starters.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a guy... Victor.. I forget his handle... but he came to the first ever IDI Weekend with a how-to video on rebuilding the C6. That video must exist somewhere. Someone needs to find it and get it posted.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2WD C6 that I was going to scrap, if you want it you can have it, and then rebuild it, and not have to be down totally.

I Might do trhat. I had an offer of another this week also. maybe both would make a good?LOL

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you installed the modulator, did you back off the band adjustment as you where installing it? Very important that that was done. Then readjust the intermediate band after installing. Tighten to 10 ft. lbs. then back off exactly 1-1/2 turns, tighten locknut to 35-40 ft. lbs. recommended to use new locknut.

If you are refering to the modualator on teh side; no I did not replace that. I replaced the vacuum modualtor on the back of the trans wiht the hose attacehd to it.