C6 shift problems after ip change

shakenbake254

Reaction score
Hey oilburners, I have a 86 6.9 with a c6 tranny. I replaced the ip with one from R&D about a week ago and ever since then my truck will not shift right. The pump is from a 7.3 idi I'm pretty sure. At first it would shift from 1st and skip 2nd gear and go to 3rd. Now it will not shift out of 3rd gear when it is in D. If I manually shift it into 1 it acts like it is in neutral and if I shift it into 2 it works fine. I played around with the VRV and it didnt really help much. I then replaced the VRV with a yellow one because that what I believe to be the right color for this ip. Now after driving it the tranny is leaking too. Any help would be appreciated. It shifted perfectly before I installed the ip.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Odd coincidence? It sounds to me like you have a transmission problem. I don't think that changing the IP could in any way make your transmission leak.

shakenbake254

Reaction score
Well I think it had to do with the vrv or kickdown rod and because I drove it trying to test different adjustments of the vrv, it overheated the tranny to the point of it blowing the pan gasket. Also when I had it in second gear for a second to see if it worked my truck backfired which I didnt know could happen to diesels. Whatever the case may be I'm taking to a shop here in town on monday so hopefully I can get some answers.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like rv adjustment or bad vacuum lines...might habe low vacuum what do u get for vacuum from pump?

shakenbake254

Reaction score
I don't have access to a vacuum gauge but my brakes are still working fine so I figured its good. Thats one of the things I'm having the shop check.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is how to adjust the VRV.

Why did you change to the yellow VRV? I think it should be Black one.

OMG, Never heard of or seen a C6 blowing the pan gasket.

Are you sure it was not overfilled?

There is NO connection between the IP and the transmission, except the IP operates the VRV.

Might have the downshift rod installed wrong or it's hanging up.

Attachments

• 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Scan.BMP.jpg
    Scan.BMP.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

shakenbake254

Reaction score
Theres differnt colors. I had a green one originally for my old pump which was used until 86 and then then used yellow and then white too. I switched to yellow because the pump isnt from a 83-86 truck.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The IP has nothing to do with the VRV, except to operate it. You can use any IP from 83 to 94 and it would not make a difference to the VRV.

shakenbake254

Reaction score
It might have to do with the kickdown rod too. It seems loose. How can I see check if it is hung up? I tried finding sone threads sbout it but they were for gassers or not what is wrong with my truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The IP has nothing to do with the VRV, except to operate it. You can use any IP from 83 to 94 and it would not make a difference to the VRV.

Thanks for the confirmation Bill. I know if a pump is changed and you do not reinstall the driver on the throttle shaft correctly. You willl not have a VRV or a tps that works correctly. In fact if the driver is not installed correctly on a tps pump you will ruin the tps the first time you go to wide open throttle. On any tps the driver has 2 very small allen screws. One goes into the throttle shaft drilled hole and the other just tightens into the shaft. But they MUST be oriented correctly on the shaft. Sadly without actually going out and looking or taking my tps off my pump I can't say which way this installs. This is what I believe is happening here. Reason I feel this way is nothing was wrong BEFORE the pump swap. Now there seems to be issues. Something was worked on and now something does not work. I was not there to know what was touched but I sure would be asking for others with a C6 to post a pic of this throttle shaft driver so I could compare what mine looks like.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the IP with the driver (rotator) for a TPS, but it's the same for a VRV, only difference is the VRV driver is a roll pin, but it must be on the correct side of the knobs, it's got to be pushing the knobs. The finger is the same as a roll pin.

Thanks for the heads up Gary.

Attachments

• Scan.BMP.jpg
    Scan.BMP.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have any info on the downshift rod other than it must be fastened solid at the trans. downshift lever, the upper end at the IP has a slot in the rod, the the rod is pushed down when the IP throttle is close to wide open throttle, WOT. IIRC

shakenbake254

Reaction score
The kickdown rod does seem like it is further back then before I changed the pump but that may just be my imagination too. Here is some pictures of the pump.
You must be registered for see images attach

Also does anyone know what this plug is for? It has never been hooked up since I have owned the truck. Come out of the glow plug harness.

shakenbake254

Reaction score

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of your attachments work. Go into advanced and use manage attachments.