C6 Puked Fluid

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Alright, my "new" pickup puked about a quart of fluid which is what I added when I realized it was low. Not sure when it happened. Most likely it occured after my last short outing (its not legal yet).

When I check the fluid after driving it, the dipstick has oil on just the tip (yeah, bad wording I know).

Anyone have any ideas? Could my dipstick be wrong? Seems to shift fine as is.

Thad

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
No one has any thoughts on this? I just can't understand why trans fluid would overflow if its not over filled.

Thad

gatorman21218

Reaction score
wrong dipstick? that was my first thought. then again I have only ever owned a ZF so I have no idea

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not too sure since I'm not an auto man but from what I've read if it is overheating she'll puke. You could feel it too or digi-thermometer:dunno

If it is the right dispstick, maybe its really low and only able to puke since you added barely enough :dunno. How far is a short trip? A block, couple miles?

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
The only reason I know that it puked fluid is that its on the floor of my garage.

My definition of a short trip in this instance is 2-3 miles. Shouldn't be building enough heat in that short of a distance?

Thanks
Thad

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a seal is leaking :dunno. If it leaked right after adding some thats my only other guess, but I'm a manual'er... Other guys should get you better answers soon LOL

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
You need to check your owner's manual about filling. I think the marks are for pints, not quarts. Could be wrong.

Did it puke while running or parked? If parked, you may have a bad seal (front or rear will be determined by the position of the fluid on the floor).

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
You need to check your owner's manual about filling. I think the marks are for pints, not quarts. Could be wrong.

Did it puke while running or parked? If parked, you may have a bad seal (front or rear will be determined by the position of the fluid on the floor).

Good call but *I think* that it came out of the dipstick since it had fluid on it...will have to check.

I might put another quart in there and see what happens. It is just a $400 rig.

Thad

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya gotta check the level when it's hot, up to operating temp. The cold level is unreliable.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on OLDBULL. Also check the dipstick tube at the tranny. Could be leaking there.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
OK, are you checking the fluid level while the truck is running? It needs to be running to give a correct reading on the stick (torque converter fills up), but if it is not running, it usually reads high.

A long time ago, I had a problem with a trans puking fluid while driving. Driving along, big billowing smoke behind me from fluid on the exhaust. Only happened twice then never again.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Sorry my first post wasn't thorough. Yes the trans was warmed up and yes the engine was running. I did not however check it with the trans in neutral...may or may not be an issue.

trackspeeder,
What seal? Trans to engine?

Thanks
Thad

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Sorry my first post wasn't thorough. Yes the trans was warmed up and yes the engine was running. I did not however check it with the trans in neutral...may or may not be an issue.

trackspeeder,
What seal? Trans to engine?

Thanks
Thad

It makes no difference if the vehicle is in neutral or park.

Pump seal would be the one to check. Between the converter and pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle