C&C rear axle fit on a standard truck?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the obvious answer is no..
But can a cab and chassis rear axle be made to fit a standard pickup frame?
Possibly by running the c&c 2.5" leafs, and maybe relocating spring perches on the axle?
I'll spare the long explanation of why I ask for now: let's just say I'm looking into upping my trucks towing ability with a F-Superduty dana 80. Dually conversion, bigger brakes, and higher gearing all in one cheap package that no one wants because of the wheel bolt pattern.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can probably do it yeah,but you'd be srw.duals wouldn't fit,not even using narrower springs.the pickup drw axle is just so much wider than cab and chassis due to the frame width.
the other thing is,the f-sd d80 axles either had 4.63 (code 72) or 5.13 (code 73) gearing.a bit overkill on the gearing for a pickup.she'd be needlessly thirsty with no benefit for ya over just running a sterling drw pickup axle.
then you'd have no way to stop in the event of a hydraulic line failure without an e-brake.you'd have mismatched 10 lug wheels out back and 8 lug up front.you'd have an axle that wouldn't gain you anything over a sterling in your pickup and reduced fuel economy would be about the largest thing you'd see.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently towing a 31 ft. Fifth wheel that weighs about 10k pounds.
It will be paid off in a year and a half, and at that point, were thinking of upgrading to a toy hauler fifth wheel: and those things are big and heavy. A lot of the new ones are rated at 18k GVW (!). Not that I'd go that big, but I still would like to plan for a 14k to 16k trailer. There would be about 7k on the rear axle of the truck.
So I would have to upgrade to duals as a minimum, but it'd be nice to just go straight to a Dana 80.
I like the idea of duals, but without the extra width of pickup duals.
With that much weight, the higher gears would be an advantage.
For the front end, I could bolt the F-Superduty in place - going from 4wd to 2wd - or have a set of adapters made to convert a dana 60 to dually and at the same time from 8 lug to 10lug.
Even if I went to 2wd, I'd keep the transfer case for the low range.
There are kits to put a parking brake on the back of the transfer case.

Option 2: just go a buy an older used International MDT with a DT466 for a dedicated tow rig.

All of this is just wishful thinking on my part, trying to weigh my options.
I've got way to much time, money, blood, and sweat into my truck to get rid of it; I'm just not sure if I could modify it to be capable of towing that big of a trailer....

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might think about getting the rear half of an f450 and putting the back half of the frame in to yours. But at the end of the day you'll still be working the snot out of the poor girl. A med. duty IH sounds like the call to me.

They are built to pull that kind of weight all day every day.

License and insurance will be a little bit more for the IH but if its a high use truck then it might be cheaper than all the work on your truck + repairs from over working it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your state laws on GVW and GCWR and your door tag. I suspect much over a 10-12k trailer and you will be technically over weight. Don't know how they feel about that in OR. As far as I understand it (so take it for what its worth but I have done some reading on this) the only one that can change the GVW of the truck is the manufacturer. Doesn't matter what modifciations you make to it or how heavy you register it.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your state laws on GVW and GCWR and your door tag. I suspect much over a 10-12k trailer and you will be technically over weight. Don't know how they feel about that in OR. As far as I understand it (so take it for what its worth but I have done some reading on this) the only one that can change the GVW of the truck is the manufacturer. Doesn't matter what modifciations you make to it or how heavy you register it.

I think some of the people who install bodies and such(Ford calls them upfitters?) can put their own tag on a vehicle can't they?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think some of the people who install bodies and such(Ford calls them upfitters?) can put their own tag on a vehicle can't they?
Yes, however they meet certain criteria too, like for ambulance bodies and rescue bodies etc same with motor homes....

IMHO adding that D80 won't be as good as you are thinking...as explained loss of fuel economy, no park/emerg brake per most requirements state/provincial and not as stable as a dually PU with the wider axle.

Honestly the frame of SD is stronger and more suited to the load you wish to pull as it is closer to a MD truck than the PU

Get a IH and be done, or get a SD and be done!

JM2CW

Al

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

^^^
They become the final manufacturer and are responsible for making sure the vehicle is safe for the rated load. Sad to say, it is really more about liablity than anything else. One man's opinion. :dunno

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah i agree,it's just time to move forward.you want bigger toys,so you need the right rig to tow with.you don't need to get rid of the current truck if you can afford to tag and insure 2 of them,look for a F-SD or a more modern 7.3l f450/f550 truck.
if you can't afford or wont need both trucks,she's an '84.she's payed her dues.no doubt someone else could make good use of it.it's hard for some to move on i know,but that's the way it is.there will be plenty of trucks in your life.keeping the same old one wont do ya any good if its just not the right truck anymore.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaning towards MDT as well. There's no way I could stay legal using the truck I have now. With my current trailer - 1700 pounds pin weight - I can't be more than half full of fuel before I'm over the 9300 lb. GVW on the truck.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I read the f-supers came with a parking brake on the back of the tranny that is the same as a Tcase flange. Isn't that why some fsuperduty zf5's will work as a 4x4 trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think I read the f-supers came with a parking brake on the back of the tranny that is the same as a Tcase flange. Isn't that why some fsuperduty zf5's will work as a 4x4 trans.

Yep.
That exactly.
If it has the brake, it the exact same transmission as you would find in a 4x4 truck.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the transfer case mounted parking brake. They don't make one for our transfer cases, but I think I could buy just the caliper and make something work. Should be a little easier on my truck since I have a fixed yoke on the back of the transfer case.

http://www.tsmmfg.com/transfercasepark.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online