>>> C.B.ANTENNA MOUNTING <<<

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Is this anything like yours?

On Edit: I just reread your description of yours and yours has rocker switches not what this one has.

Attachments

• amp_goldeneagle300.jpg
    amp_goldeneagle300.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 40

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one more quick tip the teather you will want a small leather or plastic piece swen in on the end. take a 2x3 inch piece of leather and fold in half then sew it well so the antenna fits snug. just cord the antenna will slip out

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one more quick tip the teather you will want a small leather or plastic piece swen in on the end. take a 2x3 inch piece of leather and fold in half then sew it well so the antenna fits snug. just cord the antenna will slip out

Good information to know.

I have plenty of leather; it accumulates when one is always mending saddles and such.

Thanks. :)

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are three indicator-lights --- RP --- RF --- ON --- :dunno

Two rocker-switches --- RP --- ON --- :dunno

I assume the ON means the unit is ON; what are the other lights and switches ??

If there is an internal defect to this unit, seeing as how the only connection to the radio is the coax, is there any danger of it damaging my radio when I hook it up for a test ??

Once it is hooked up and seems to work, how do I know if it is doing it's job --- send the wife over in the next county and see if she can hear me ?? :dunno

How is this "tuning" done ??

Thanks. :)

RP-Receive Power. This is your preamp
Rf- This light should light up when you key down
On- Self explanitory

The easiest thing to do is to get yourself a SWR meter and a short section of jumper coax and hook those inline with your radio and antenna. Read the instructions or just Google it. It's a real easy process to adjust your standing wave (tuning your antenna). Since you aren't running that much power and you didn't pay a lot for the linear, close enough will be good enough when tuning your antenna. You want to get as close to 1.1 to 1 SWR. More than likely you'll do this by trying different lengths of coax until you get optimal readings. Ground, ground and ground your system. If you know some Hammies and make nice, they might hook up their MFJ to your antenna and dial it in for you.:rotflmao

When you start running Leece Nevilles and Skullcrackers, that's when close enough ain't good enough.

Dang it! Now you got me jonesing again

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this anything like yours?

On Edit: I just reread your description of yours and yours has rocker switches not what this one has.

I just went out in the shop and brought my unit in here to the keyboard.

On close scrutinization, I can see no manufacturer identification, save for "GOLDEN EAGLE 300" and "BI-LINEAR AMPLIFIER"

The cabinet is black metal.

The face is grayish-blue metal.

It is made atop an aluminum heat-sink, much like a battery isolater.

It does not have a gauge like the one pictured.

Also, there is a 3-position rotary knob that I neglected to make note of, marked L M H ; for LOW, MEDIUM, and HIGH I am assuming.

I am guessing the L M H knob adjusts output strength, right ??

Thanks for posting that picture; I am sure it would help if I had sense enough to also post pictures. :(

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct in that the L M H adjusts your power output. You'll have a lot of fun with your new toy. Just be courteous when you're playing with it. It has 3 power levels and an on/off switch for a reason. You are the proud owner of a splatter box and it will get you into trouble if you're not careful. Aside from that, you'll have a blast.

Where are you located? I haven't tuned someone elses antenna in a while.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct in that the L M H adjusts your power output. You'll have a lot of fun with your new toy. Just be courteous when you're playing with it. It has 3 power levels and an on/off switch for a reason. You are the proud owner of a splatter box and it will get you into trouble if you're not careful. Aside from that, you'll have a blast.

Where are you located? I haven't tuned someone elses antenna in a while.

To get to where I live, go to the Xss-end of no-where and then go a bit further, in the low-budget poverty-capitol of the earth, maybe even the universe, located North of Tennessee and South of Indiana. :(

I am a bit far from Portland, but I appreciate the offer. :)

I have already tuned my existing antenna for lowest SWR and will soon be doing it again with the new Wilson that I just received today.

So I am assuming SWR may change when this box is added ??

In your previous post, you named the "RP" switch as thus :

RP-Receive Power -- this is your pre-amp

Am I understanding correctly that this means the amplifier also boosts the incoming signal ??

such that I could conceivably talk to a weaker radio a few miles farther away and also be able to hear them, even though their radio has only 4- or less watts ??

Many thanks. :)

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The receive amplifier will boost incoming signals so yes you can hear fainter signals from farther away. This generally works best if you're not around a bunch of white noise like in the city otherwise you just get more static. But say on a hilltop at midnight you will notice a difference. This will come in handy if you're into shooting skip.

Whenever you relocate your antenna on your vehicle or change antennas, you will have to adjust your SWR but technically once an antenna is tuned for a frequency, amount of power makes no difference at that point. If it does then your antenna wasn't tuned properly

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The real question is what kind of radio do you have. Cobra 29's can put out some excellent modulation and you can get a receive upgrade kit for them as well. Stick an astatic 575 power mic on there and you're talkin.

If money is tight, you can get some good bang out of a $20 uniden pro 510

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The real question is what kind of radio do you have. Cobra 29's can put out some excellent modulation and you can get a receive upgrade kit for them as well. Stick an astatic 575 power mic on there and you're talkin.

If money is tight, you can get some good bang out of a $20 uniden pro 510

The current radio in my truck is a brand-new Cobra 29 WX NW ST; I have another identical one destined for the wife's truck as soon as I can keep her out of it long enough to install.

Her truck currently has a 23-channel Midland 13-882C, a swap-meet find that replaced the Uniden(I think) that played out.

I just finished installing a shiny-new Cobra 29LTD ARMY with a top-wound 4-foot fiberglass "TIGER"-brand antenna in the son's truck; every piece, part, and particle being swap-meet finds; I never heard of "TIGER" antenna before, but it must be good stuff considering how well it performs.

DID I SAY I LOVE SWAP MEETS :)

I have a whole box-full of various Cobra 18s and 19s in varying configurations, all in working order and all being swap-meet finds; considering their compact size, I intend to pick the best of this lot to couple with a magnet-mount antenna and lighter-plug, to be used in radio-less trucks I may have reason to convoy with.

More various 29s than I can count, some working more-or-less and some as dead as a door-nail.

Several miscellaneous 23-channel Midlands and etc.

And etc., and etc.

Tell me more about this receive upgrade for the 29.

Oh, and I have an Astatic on my Amazon wish-list.

Thanks.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you start running Leece Nevilles and Skullcrackers, that's when close enough ain't good enough.

I have been running Leece-Neville 110-555s for several years; anything around here has an alternator to crap-out, it gets a Leece-Neville.

What on earth is a "Skullcracker" ??

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine on ebay for maybe $15 or so. It's been a while since I've done mine but it is basically a few upgraded diodes and resistors. If you have a soldering gun and are confident enough, you could do it yourself. Or play it safe and have a tech do it for a few bucks. I suppose you could even google the parts and radio shack it.

Now if you really wanna get out like the big dogs... We used to go into the hills and stick a maco 5/8 in a tree and run some coax down to the mobile. After many wasted hours setting up and tuning the maco every time, I might suggest an antron 99, a few sections of mast/ pipe and some rachet straps. You could have that thing up next to a tree in 20 minutes or less.

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skullcracker is a linear. Personally, I ran a couple optimized davemade linears. We would run multiple alternators with the voltage regulators removed and control the volts with a regulator in the cab for an entirely separate charging system dedicated for the linears. Anywhere from 12v to 18v depending on your battery configurations and you could bump it to 20v for keydowns.

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

home.ptd.net/~n3cvj/linears.htm

Interesting read and so true. I'm guessing this hits home for many on here

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score