burb-o-matic in the fleet.....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was holding out for a 4door bronco with a IDI but this unwanted stepchild showed up. for a $1000, I couldn't go wrong. even if it blows up in a year, I will get one snow season out of it.;Sweet my kid is grinning from ear-to-ear. she knows ski slopes are imminent this year.
anyways....the specs.....
1985 GMC Suburban light 3/4t 4x4.
6.5t goodwrench replacement engine.
Banks 6.2 turbo kit.
THM700 trans.
D44 front/Corp semi-float rear.
interior not tore up;Sweet
barn-door butt section.

Attachments

• SL372266.JPG
    SL372266.JPG
    863.3 KB · Views: 12
  • SL372267.JPG
    SL372267.JPG
    875.4 KB · Views: 9
  • SL372268.JPG
    SL372268.JPG
    869.4 KB · Views: 13
  • SL372269.JPG
    SL372269.JPG
    878.9 KB · Views: 14

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Dude that thing is sweet! I had looked for one of those for over a year.

Wound up with a 96 2500 4x4 TD. The 6.5 easily out performs my 6.9 or 7.3 in the fuel economy department.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks guys;Sweet
there's a couple '95 and up burbs around here, but I refuse to deal with the DS4 pump system. creature comforts are alot nicer in the newer ones tho.
my gray CC dually is getting some much needed rest with this one doing commuter duties. the wife likes the fact the interior isn't tore up. I've owned a few burbs that look like a hungry rottweiler was locked in the truck.:eek:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Damn Kal... you boys out there have some great looking "Junkers".... That thing is worth twice to three times that amount here in the rust belt.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn Kal... you boys out there have some great looking "Junkers".... That thing is worth twice to three times that amount here in the rust belt.
most everyone wants "new" out here. If the late model DS4 burbs were more reliable, they would still hold their value. If you want hi-cap family hauling, it's either a burb or a van. vans are a no-go with my bionic rebuilt legs due to the cramped footwell, so it's a burb or a fourdoor bronco. burb won this time:D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this one is looking for a home......

84 gmc 3/4 ton suburban 6.2 diesel - $500 (los gatos)

Date: 2011-01-05, 12:32AM PST
Reply to: see below

This truck should be viewed as a project only. It is currently not running due to air in the fuel system. I havent owned this thing for more than a month, I bought it intending to use it as a tow rig project but i've since decided its more than i have time for and am focusing on my offroad projects. The main attraction to this thing is the smog exempt title which is huge as long as the California air resources board exist. This rig has NO SMOG ever.

Price...
1000 as is
500 w/o transmission/transfer case

Acceptable partial/full trades/i add cash trade items include but are not limited to...
winches,onboard air systems tanks or compressors,one ton gm axles, Tubing bender, Welder etc...

Pictures....
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/superman2054/84 gmc suburban/?albumview=slideshow

Specs
206k unconfirmed miles along with a crapload of receipts from person i bought it from, Again i havent even had this thing for a month, Its just not the right tow rig for me. And im looking to get out of it

engine=6.2 diesel with cracked block welded in 2000, Newer starter/flex plate
transmission=th400 rebuilt 21k miles ago unconfirmed
transfer case=np208

axles=dana 44 8 lug front,14 bolt semi floater rear

40 gallon fuel tank with stock skid plate full of diesel

Contact info...
cell=408-416-8535
9am-9pm only, Texts are preferrable unless you have something that requires a full discussion

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2144491955

justcuz

Reaction score
I noticed you have referred to the front axles in these Suburbans as Dana 44's. Actually they are corporate 10 bolts. They are roughly the same as a Dana 44 in the strength department, but do not have the aftermarket support Dana 44's do. Everything from the knuckles out are the same as a Dana 44 though and interchange.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed you have referred to the front axles in these Suburbans as Dana 44's. Actually they are corporate 10 bolts. They are roughly the same as a Dana 44 in the strength department, but do not have the aftermarket support Dana 44's do. Everything from the knuckles out are the same as a Dana 44 though and interchange.
you could very well be right there.
I've been lucky and have found Dana 44 stuff to keep my trucks running.
irregardless, we can certainly agree it's some pretty light duty stuff, but this truck is not being used for hardcore off-roading. the worst it is going to see is muddy, slushy pavement.

justcuz

Reaction score
Dana 44's are easy identified. They have a 44 cast in the web of the housing in the front bottom, usually on the long tube side. The cover is more octagonal than a 10 bolt also (the 10 bolt being almost completely round).

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dana 44's are easy identified. They have a 44 cast in the web of the housing in the front bottom, usually on the long tube side. The cover is more octagonal than a 10 bolt also (the 10 bolt being almost completely round).
so what's this one then? 10bolt?

Attachments

• SL372496.JPG
    SL372496.JPG
    850.7 KB · Views: 9

justcuz

Reaction score
Your welcome. I've learned more about Ford IDI diesels here in 2 days than I really wanted to know. Since I am a big Chevy guy (except diesels) I thought I would share some of that knowlege. The Ford/IH idi seems to be the best choice for me to purchase an inexpensive diesel truck for off road use. Thanks to this forum I have come to that conclusion.